Two storyline blocks in the same section in Rise

Nov 27, 2017

When we have two storyline blocks in the same section in Rise and view the course on iphone,  the audio from the second interaction plays with the video from the first interaction. This only happens on phone. Can anyone help please?

12 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi there Julie,

Thanks for letting us know what's going on--that's really strange! I'm going to try and recreate this problem in a sample Rise course. Can you tell me more about your set-up?

• Do both Storyline blocks contain video with audio, or audio only?
  • Is the audio/video on the first slide?
  • Does this happen after you click the play button for both Storyline blocks?

If you have a sample lesson you can share with me, that would be helpful, too! 

Julie O'Connor

Hi,

Both blocks contain audio. On a mobile, I click on the play button for the first storyline block and I hear the correct audio (for the first block) but I see the second block! 

When I view it on my Mac, both blocks automatically play at the same time.

I attach my file.

Any help would be gratefully received!

Thanks

Julie O'Connor

Hi, yes that is what we have had to do for now but would very much like to be able to have two storylines in one block.

Did you view it on a mobile too, because that is even more odd. You click on the play button on the first one but it shows the second storyline interaction playing with the audio from the first!

Thanks

Alyssa Gomez

Hi there Julie! That is definitely strange behavior, especially on mobile. We're working through this with our team, and we'll let you know as soon as we have an update.

In the meantime, try adding a Continue Block between the two Storyline blocks. That will prevent the second Storyline file from playing over the first Storyline file. This should work both on desktop and mobile.

Give it a try, and let me know how it goes!

Julie O'Connor

Ah OK, so the first time you view the course on either desktop or mobile, the continue button shows and it works brilliantly. However, the second time you view the course, it is resuming where you left off so the continue button doesn't show and both storyline interactions play at the same time. How can we make sure the continue button shows everytime you access the course?

Thanks,

Julie.

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Julie. I have an update on the Storyline block behavior.  Because of the way the blocks are designed, it is unavoidable that the Storyline block will load as though it has been opened, unless it is hidden by a continue block.

The best practices that you can use are:

• Create a Storyline interaction that doesn't "autoplay" media on the first slide.  You could have a poster frame type of slide, or media that is triggered by user interaction, for example.
  • Use a continue block to separate Storyline blocks, keeping in mind that upon revisiting the lesson, the continue block requirement will have been satisfied, and any interactions in that block lesson will be launched again.
  • Use only one Storyline block in a lesson if it includes media that must autoplay.

I hope that provides some guidance on how to get the most out of the Storyline block!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.