Using Rise 360 and Canvas Free-for-Teachers

Aug 22, 2023

I spent this past summer re-creating a CTE course in Rise 360 for my 6th grade pilot program. After arriving back at school I contacted my tech integrators about using Canvas as an LMS, and they said they only provide access for high schoolers. It was then suggested I try to use the Free-for-Teachers version of Canvas to host these courses. 

I don't need any of the fancy integration that Canvas has (like SSO, gradebooks, calendar, etc) - I just want students to be able to save their progress and for me to see where they on in each module. 

Is this something Canvas F-f-T can do? And if so, can someone direct me to a knowledge base for setting things up? I have read a little bit on this topic and have downloaded a SCORM file for each module and uploaded them to my Files section, but am lost as to what to do next, if that helps any. 

Also, I don't have a budget to use Reach 360 (or even the 30-day trial), since my students will be using this weekly from September to May. If Rise and Canvas F-f-T don't work, please feel free to suggest an affordable alternative if you know of any. If all else fails, I will just use the 'preview' link and teach it whole group, which is what I was trying to avoid. 

2 Replies
Angie Shertzer

Hi Scott! Looks like it's been a while since you posted this - and I hope you found a good solution. 

Sadly, Canvas Free-for-Teachers does not provide SCORM support. I've found that a decent workaround is to -
- Publish the Rise course for the web
- Host the file on a service (search the discussions for up-to-date advice on the best hosting options, like AWS or Google Cloud) using this approach
- Link to the web course from Canvas

This doesn't get you any tracking or completion info, but you can use a quiz in Canvas to check for comprehension or add something at the end of the Rise that they can only access by completing the Rise module (like a Google form where they enter their name or a hidden but published page in Canvas).