Videos play over one another

Jan 17, 2020

Hello!  We created some Storyline 360 videos and imported them into a Rise 360 course.  Sometimes multiple videos play at the same time.  How do we prevent this?  If a learner presses the Continue button before the video has finished playing then the next video starts playing right on top of the one that is already playing. I changed the settings for the Continue button to require that the previous block be completed before the continue button can be activated.  However it only appears to require the user to START the video, not complete it.  Is the only remedy to make sure we only have one video in each Lesson?  We have a few lessons with multiple videos but we can break them up if we have to.  Thanks tons for your help!!

17 Replies
Valerie Saboe

Hi Alyssa,  Thank you so much for your help!  OK, we have changed the Rise 360 course setting to "restricted" and we have edited each Continue button to require that all previous blocks be completed before the learner is allowed to progress in the course.  Now we are editing and republishing all of the Storyline videos to require that the learner click to start each video rather than the "automatically play" setting they were all on previously.  Hopefully this will resolve the issue or at least minimize the risk of the videos playing over each other as the learner takes the course.  Since this is a Rise 360 course (with embedded Storyline videos) we don't have the option you speak of to add the "complete course" trigger on the last slide.  However, we do have an Exit button at the end of the Rise 360 course.  We are going to republish to our LMS and let you know how it goes.  The only other option we can think of is to make sure there is only one video in each lesson of the Rise 360 course.  Again thanks TONS for all your wonderful help and guidance!!  :-)

Nathalie Franck

I'm having the same problem with videos playing over each other in Rise. But mine are multiple response questions with embedded video from YouTube. I have 2 questions, each with a video and no matter what I try, they play over each other. I tried the "restricted" course setting and a continue button. The continue button works for the first video but when you hit play on the second video, it replays the first one simultaneously. Is there any way to prevent this from happening?

Nathalie Franck

Hello Alyssa,

Thanks for getting back to me. Within my content in a lesson ‘page’, I have a knowledge check block. Where you have the option to add media within the question, I have a YouTube video embedded. And two questions below that, I another question with another embedded video. Do you have any suggestions?

Alyssa Gomez

Thanks, Nathalie. I've tested this myself, and I'm seeing the same problem you're seeing. I'm really sorry about that! For now, I'm not seeing any way to prevent the videos from overlapping each other, but I'll let you know if I find a workaround.

I'm going to share this with my team as a possible bug, and I'll reach back out if I get an update. 

Alyssa Gomez

Hi there, Pauline! I'm seeing the same thing from my side. If the learner submits their answer without first pausing the video, the audio will continue playing when they visit the next question. I'll have our team take a look at this behavior, and we'll let you know if we make any changes that will help resolve this! 

Brandy Jackson

Hello, I am having the same issue. I have 6 videos with NO knowledge check attached to them using a Rise Interaction. The user has to advance to the next slide to view the next video. If the first video has not completed and the next one starts, the first video does not pause itself. Any tips on how to solve this.

Beth Barber

If this is in Storyline where the videos are playing, you need to create an advanced trigger that pauses the screen or stops playing completely. If you are doing both SL block and KC through Rise, you need to setup a continue button that is setup that the SL video has to complete before they can go on to the next part in Rise.