What impacts exported file size for x API zip files

Nov 24, 2020

Hi - the question to me is what is an appropriate maximum file size to expect for Rise courses, and if we need to keep our file size under a limit, what are the things that impact file size the most?  I'm guessing that videos are the biggest driver of this, but was hoping for some additional data points or tips for estimating and minimizing the exported file size. also the benefits of smaller file sizes if any.

1 Reply
Karl Muller

Hi Patricia,

There is no accurate way to estimate the size of the xAPI ZIP file.

You are correct that video files are the biggest contributor to overall SCORM ZIP file size.

Next would be other media files such as audio files, and graphic files.

If your LMS has a maximum SCORM ZIP file size, the easiest way to get the size down is to not to upload your video files into the Rise course, but to host them on an external site like Vimeo. 

Patty Raymond

Xapi vs. SCORM but same idea. Thanks for your input. I have suggested that our better alternative would be to link rather than upload the videos. Any anecdotal examples of others file sizes when exported to tin can api would be helpful.

Patty Raymond
Sr. Technical Curriculum Developer, Training & Certification
e: patray@amazon.com
Free serverless training:
Internal link to Architecting Serverless Solutions
External link

[AWS Training and Certification Logo]

[AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner][AWS Certified Solution Architect Associate]

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.