What size pictures for different Rise templates

Feb 21, 2018

Hi there. I hope you're all doing well.

I'm trying to get a Rise course going but am having a heck of a time with the pictures. two-column grid cuts off half the picture. the image with text on it, no matter what size I import, cuts down the image to where I'm only getting half of a person's face.  I've attached the original Getty Image and what it looks like in Rise. I've read a Best Practices article here, but it does not address dimensions in any depth except to reference a little cropping.

https://articulate.com/support/article/Best-Practices-for-Images-Videos-and-Audio-in-Rise-Courses 

Any other tips? Is there a guide that lists the best dimensions to set the pictures up with ahead of time?

Thanks!

Cheryl

6 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Cheryl and Victoria! 

I'm happy to explain a bit more about how Rise is responsive, and what that means for the images in your course. 

You have probably noticed that images have different dimensions as they adapt to different devices and orientations. The wider the browser window, the more vertically cropped the image will appear. This is why it's a good idea to use images where important details won't be lost if the edges are cropped.

Take a Peek at this quick demo of image blocks in Rise and how those images are cropped when viewing the course on various browser sizes. 

Let me know if you have any questions about that!

Cheryl Hoover

That was very nice of you to create that video, Alyssa. Thanks so much. This is the tenth Rise course that I'm working on right now. It must be that I've not used a person in a major image before, so changes in the cropping were not as obvious as this one is. I'm a bit disappointed about this.

I also think this resizing is more than just saying "the edges are cropped," which is what the best practices article referenced above says. The donkey pictures used in that article look practically identical. The donkey didn't lose half of his face in the cropping. I think that threw me off and made me think I must be doing something wrong.

Thank you again for the video, and thank you for listening. Much appreciated. 

Rukhsana Khan

Hi, been struggling BUT I HAVE A SOLUTION: thanks to my colleague Nicola. whatever shape your object/picture is add an invisible circle/square around it i.e colour full to "no fill" and outline to "white", then group your image and save as png or jpeg (I recommned png) and then load to Rise... your "white" object will be the one that cutoff which no one can see anyway. see attached for example

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.