Which is the best image format for Rise and Storyline?

Feb 17, 2021

Which is the best image format for Rise and Storyline -- .png, .jpg, .epf, .tiff, etc. The criteria is the image being able to be resized without losing any quality.  Please explain or summarize the differences of each format.

Thank you,

John

2 Replies
Crystal Horn

Hello, John.

The best answer is: Use high resolution, high quality images so that no matter what the screen size of the learner, they'll see great images supporting your content.

More important than the image file format would be the quality of the image. Both Rise 360 and Storyline 360 accept virtually any file format.

While you can adjust compression settings for your media in Storyline 360 during the publishing process, Rise 360 requires you to identify individual files to avoid compression. Use this tip if you notice images that appear blurry in Rise 360:

If you'd like an image to keep its specific file format and not undergo compression, you can opt-out of image optimization on a case-by-case basis. Just add _NOPROCESS_ to the name of your image file. It'll upload and display exactly as you saved it. Keep in mind that file size limits still apply.
Jon Simmons

Just noticing a downgrade in image quality over the past few months and stumbled across this thread in an effort to find out why.

I've tried the '_noprocess_' workaround and can confirm it makes a huge difference in quality.

Apart from being almost unworkable with regard to revising our naming conventions in the production workflow to incorporate this workaround there is actually a more fundamental issue that makes it a non-starter.

In testing it across different browsers, the '_noprocess_' file works fine in Safari and Explorer, in Chrome and Firefox, however, the '_noprocess_' directive displays as the filename only, not an actual image. I am not a coding expert - or novice even - but guessing this instruction may interfere with their own. I don't know.

I assume the reason behind the image 'processing' choice would be one of cloud hosting and storage space/cost but if that means I can't deliver the highest quality course content across all potential user outlets then it seems this solution is broken.

Wouldn't it be simpler if this were a setting choice in the user menu? Images processed as 'on' by default for clients who don't know or need hi-quality imagery but for those who do, they have the option without bricking alternative browsers or upending their workflow processes.

Any further solutions would be appreciated.