XLIF Translation with WordScope

Feb 09, 2024

Hi folks,

Our team is new to translating Rise courses and between us and our translator we're having trouble getting the XLIFF files to work with her translation software. Currently they're using WordScope, which throws errors when trying to open our XLIFF files. (Primarily the errors are surrounding the fact that the target language has not been identified.) Additionally, when we attempt to import their translated file the translation "imports successfully" but none of the text actually changes to the new language.

Our translator is currently looking into whether or not the problem is with her software and whether or not there are better options, but in the mean time does anyone here have experience using WordScope to successfully translate Rise courses?

Many thanks!

3 Replies
Jose Tansengco

Hello Catherine, 

Happy to help!

Most translation tools will add the <target> tag, and once translated, the XLIFF file should contain text in both the original language and the target language. Please check if WordScope is adding this tag to your translation files to make sure that your files get translated properly.

You can also check out the Smartcat translation tool to compare how other tools translate translation files.

Babita Mundra

Hi Jose, i just submitted a support call about this topic to Articulate support, not heard anything back yet. I am trialing Smartcart and it keeps coming up with an error.

I exported the XLIFF file and then uploaded it to a translation software to convert to another language (with the view of uploading that back into Rise), however, the translation software was unable to read the XLIFF file exported. 

Is this an issue from Articulate side? Thanks

Jose Tansengco

Hi Babita, 

Would you mind sharing your translation file here or in private by opening a case so I can check if it will be detected in Smartcat? 

I did a quick test on my end and I can confirm that Rise 360 translation files can be uploaded to Smartcat without any issues so this incident might be isolated. It may also help to share a Peek 360 screen recording of the behavior you're experiencing so I can test it more accurately.