audio editor Studio 360 cursor and voice track seem to be slightly out of sync and Presenter 360 crashes

Jan 02, 2017

I have been working with the new Studio 360 most of this week, updating a complex course with involves embedded videos, and animation driven voice over narration. 

First, the new version seems somewhat unstable. Periodically, I get PResenter 360 stop working. The only way I can restablize stability is to uninstall Studio 360 from the overall Studio 360 and then reinstall it. If I don't, I run the risk of corrupting my slides. Time consuming, but it seems to work for now. 

Secondly, I am used to using Audio Editor to do precise edits to my voice overs. However, I am beginning to suspect that the cursor, voice track presentation and the underlying sound file are slightly out of sync. When I isolate a portion of a slide's sound track, and then cut it, or record over it, I often seem to "spill" over into subsequent part of the track which I have carefully kept out of my selection. 

This is such an issue that audio editor no longer seems useful for doing the kinds of "audio repairs" that I have been doing since Presenter 09. 

Are others experiencing the same issues, or are they isolated to my configuration? 

I am using Powerpoint 2016 downloaded from Office 365. I never experienced these kinds of "crash" issues, or what seem to be out of sync issues in audio editor in Presenter 13. But unfortunately, now that I have upgraded to 360, there is no way of easily going back. This is a 100 slide plus course with over 50 embedded "example" and skill practice "prompt" MP4 videos, each running from 30 seconds to 2 minutes. 

Thanks 

Roelf 

9 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Roelf, 

Well that's no way to start the new year! For the "Presenter stopped working" one reinstall or repair as detailed here should have done the trick, but it's also worth checking that you meet the system requirements here and that you've got things installed on a local drive and working on local project files

You mentioned using Office 365, and Powerpoint 16 as a part of that, so you'll want to double check that it's not the Office 365 cloud based version as that isn't one of the options within the system requirements for Articulate 360. You can use this article from Microsoft to check your Office version. 

I'd look into those two things first and then from there it may solve the audio issues you're having. If not, then we'll get you working with our Support Engineers ASAP to figure out what else may be happening! 

Roelf Woldring

Hi Ashley

No , I am not using the cloud based version of office 365, merely
downloading from it.

It is the desktop version of PowerPoint 2016.

If I don't reinstall, I get a PowerPoint cannot communicate with
presenter.exe message.

The audio sync is more troublesome to me at the moment though,

And I noticed that you did not comment on that.

I meet the system requirements - this is a big desktop machine,

And I am now using the C drive exclusively during the development phase of
my work.

Roelf

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Roelf - typically the audio issues can be due to the environment as well, so by asking about repairing, system requirements, environment, etc - that can help us pinpoint issues. I do not see where you have opened another support case as Ashley recommended above, but I do see where you've worked with them on a couple of other issues that you were able to resolve. I'd recommend reaching out to our team as Ashley shared above so we can help you with this as well.

Roelf Woldring

Hi Asley

I use a Blue Yeti Pro in a soundbox with a pop filter to record my audio.

More and more, I am using tools like MP4Gain and Adobe Audition to clean up
audio problems, normalize volume across sound clips etc.

That has been a huge learning journey in the past seeks where I am
revitalize a program on giving feedback in the workplace of which the first
version goes back to Presenter 09.

On a hundred slide program, that means hours of exporting, audio fixing,
and re-importing.

And these tools, especially Audition, are not a small learning curve.

But I am finding that the audio editor is just too uncomplicated a tool to
do all of audio fine tuning.

However, once I am through and have reimported all of the wav files back
into the Presenter 360 file, if I still see that the Audio Editor cursor and
sound seem to be out of sync,

I will open a support case and attached the whole program to it.

Thanks for your response though folks

Best for 2017 to you ..

Roelf

Roelf Woldring

Hi Ashley

I thought I had got around the issues by exporting all my audio files to WAV files and fixing them in Adobe Audition.

However, now I am having a problem importing the fixed, normalized files back in.

See the MP4 version of the Replay screen capture in case number 00985665 please.

By the way, when I tried to upload the Replay file and the MP4, the articulate support site disconnected, probably because of file upload size. First, I created a discussion for this in the Heroes forum. Then I tried submitting a case for the 3rd time, using only the MP4 version of the Replay screen recording. This one finally went through …..

I am starting to panic, because I am now getting to be a week overdue on the target completion date for this project.

Roelf

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.