Do I need PowerPoint 2010?

Apr 11, 2011

I'm very interested in purchasing Articulate; however, my organization currently uses PowerPoint 2007. Is Articulate completely compatible with this older version? I see that most of the tutorials cater to PowerPoint 2010.

There is added functionality with PowerPoint 2010 that I'd like to develop eLearning with. My IS department is concerned that if I create eLearning with PowerPoint 2010 that our employees with the older versions will not be able to view the new the new features. I would be publishing the eLearning to them as a SCORM course on our LMS, so I don't think this would be a problem. 

Do you have any insight on this? Have any of you experienced compatibility problems with PowerPoint versions throughout your agency? 

Thanks, 

Heather

4 Replies
Justin Wilcox

Studio '09 is compatible with PowerPoint 2007. The main issues with compatibility are going from 2003 to 2007 or 2010 because 2003 is a very different application. Going from 2007 to 2010 shouldn't be a problem. If someone does something in 2010 that 2007 didn't have, the content would probably be converted to an object or something along those lines. Similar to what happens when you open a PPTX file in 2003.

My recommendation, though, would be to get all of the authors on the same version of PowerPoint. This way you don't have to worry about that.

Heather Thomas

Great - Thanks for the speedy response, Justin. That's helpful.

Once you publish an eLearning that you made with PowerPoint 2010 into a SCORM file, isn't it true that it shouldn't matter what kind of PowerPoint you have to view the course as intended. The SCORM bundles the files to launch the course in our LMS Browser - this way any employee (even without PowerPoint) could view it. Correct?

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.