LMS Not Marking Course Complete

I am uploading a very basic "no-frills" course, published in Articulate '09, to SumTotal LMS 7.x. 

The course contains a quiz that requires 80% in order to pass.  However the end result even with a passing score of 100%, is an incomplete mark by the LMS.

I have tested with all 4 "Report Status" settings available and still no change.

Our company has spent weeks communicating with SumTotal's customer service in order to resolve the issue.

Today SumTotal indicated that the "Report Status" has to be set to "Incomplete\Completed" to resolve the issue. 

Is anyone else having reporting issues/problems with Articulate and SumTotal?

Thanks!

38 Replies
Brian Batt

Hi Victor & welcome to Heroes,

Is the quiz in your presentation a quiz that was updated from Quizmaker 2 to Quizmaker '09?  If so, after updating a Quizmaker 2.1 quiz to Quizmaker '09, you might find when using the SumTotal LMS 7.6 that the status is not reported correctly. To correct this, please contact SumTotal and request hotfix number 165853. This will correct the reporting issue.

victor matthews

Hi Brian,

The quiz was created in Quizmaker '09 (V3.3.1009.1313).  This issue is not just one course.  I just started with a new company that uses SumTotal, but not new to publishing with Articulate.  I have been using your product for over 5 years in my previous life with LearnShare.  Since I started publishing content two months ago (using Articulate & SumTotal) we have not been successful with SumTotal reporting course completions (with or without a quiz). 

I have also tested the reporting capability in the LMS by publishing a course using Captivate 5, but end up with the same results. 

I have tried every possible publishing combination under the sun in Articulate, with the exception of manually modifying the configuration files, which I hope is not the final fix.

I have published hundreds of courses to other Learning Management Systems over the years without problems but SumTotal takes the cake.

Dwayne Schamp

We have been using SumTotal with no ill effects. Of course, EVERY implementation of SumTotal is unique, so one issue you have might not bee seen by others.

Our completion settings are usually "view by slide". Some courses do use the quizmaker settings, at the same value you have 80%, with no issues.

What format are you publishing to (SCORM 1.2, 2004, or AICC)?

We use Passed/Incomplete and it has worked as needed.

victor matthews

SumTotal's response: 

The course is sending the status of failed as soon as the course is launched. This is the reason why the course is marking itself as Failed with a score of 0 as soon as this is launched.

 

The course is sending the Interaction details but it is sending the details after the failed status is being received by LMS, as a result it is not being honored.

 

 In LMS, the lesson_status passed, failed and completed are being treated as completed.

 

Please set the course to pass incomplete status until the user completes the course and clicks on the final exit button.

 

 

Justin Wilcox

Marzena Kowalski said:

Hello,

I love working with Articulate, but we are also having problems with reporting/tracking. What we found out is, that reporting/tracking DOES NOT work in Chrome/Safari. We let our users know to avoid using Chrome/Safari if they want to check their progress.

I hope Articulate will come up with a fix soon, we're loosing customers because of it....


Hi Marzena,

Articulate content is supported in Google Chrome and Safari and should not impact tracking one way or another. If you are having difficulty tracking content, the first thing I would do is check this article out:

http://www.articulate.com/blog/9-ways-to-troubleshoot-articulate-lms-issues/

If you can confirm that the tracking issue only occurs with those specific browsers in your particular LMS, I would contact the LMS to see what they can figure out.

For example, if you upload your content here:

http://scorm.com/scorm-solved/scorm-cloud/

Test it in one of those two browsers and you shouldn't have a problem. I would also make sure that you are using the latest version of Studio '09:

http://www.articulate.com/support/presenter09/kb/?p=425

victor matthews

Brian,

I tested the edited Manifest file this morning but was unable to upload because of the following error. 

An error occurred while parsing imsmanifest.xml. Required white space was missing

Also I have two </resource> tags at the end of the original manifest file before editing.

(</resource> )

(</resources> )

my edited code was here

(</manifest> )

Is this correct? 

According to your procedure, this is how it should look:

(</resource> )

Extra code

(</manifest> )

Brian Batt

Hi Victor,

In the manifest tag, it looks like SumTotal is adding some extra data.  This might be causing the problem.  Here's what the original file tag looks like:

[quote]

xmlns:adlcp="http://www.adlnet.org/xsd/adlcp_rootv1p2" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.imsproject.org/xsd/imscp_rootv1p1p2 imscp_rootv1p1p2.xsd http://www.imsglobal.org/xsd/imsmd_rootv1p2p1 imsmd_rootv1p2p1.xsd http://www.adlnet.org/xsd/adlcp_rootv1p2 adlcp_rootv1p2.xsd">

[/quote]

Here's what the manifest tag looks like from your file:

[quote]

xmlns:adlcp="http://www.adlnet.org/xsd/adlcp_rootv1p2" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:c2lcp="http://www.sumtotalsystems.com/xsd/c2l_cp_rootv1p1" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.imsproject.org/xsd/imscp_rootv1p1p2 imscp_rootv1p1p2.xsd http://www.imsglobal.org/xsd/imsmd_rootv1p2p1 imsmd_rootv1p2p1.xsd http://www.adlnet.org/xsd/adlcp_rootv1p2 adlcp_rootv1p2.xsd http://www.sumtotalsystems.com/xsd/c2l_cp_rootv1p1 c2l_cp_rootv1p1.xsd">

[/quote]