Minimum hardware and software requirements for viewing content?

Jul 02, 2015

Hello,

I originally posted this question in the "Building Better Courses" forum and was kindly redirected here.  What are the minimum hardware and software requirements to view an e-learning module built with Articulate Studio 13?  I found the following link which was helpful.  However, this link does not answer the question I pose:

http://www.articulate.com/support/quizmaker-13/system-requirements-for-articulate-studio-13?_ga=1.119599688.17175006.1432908542

The link provides hardware and software requirements for computers that will be used to author content.  It provides information on content form requirements and 508 compliance for viewing content, which is helpful.  But I really need to know at a basic level, what is the minimum hardware and software requirement needed to be able to view a computer-based (on CD) training built in Articulate Studio 13? 

The modules would be used in remote access locations with no Internet access.  I'm unsure of the quality and age of the PCs.  This is why I ask this question. What would be my best bet in terms of appropriate rapid-authoring software for developing a computer-based eLearning module if the computers do NOT meet minimum requirements?

I appreciate any thoughts on this matter.   Thank you so much!

Barbara

3 Replies
Christie Pollick

Hi, Barbara -- Looks like you already located the right information! In the link you provided above for System Requirements for Articulate Studio '13, you will see that there is a section located closer to the bottom which pertains to the minimum viewing requirements:

Viewing Content

Content Format
Flash

Flash Player 10 or later, and one of the following browsers:

• Windows: Internet Explorer 6 and later, Firefox 1.x and later, Google Chrome, Opera 9.5 and later
  • Mac: Safari 3 and later, Firefox 1.x and later, Google Chrome
  • Linux: Firefox 1.x and later
HTML5
  • Google Chrome 29 or later on Windows or Mac
  • Safari 6.0.5 or later on Mac
  • Mobile Safari in Apple iOS 6.0 or later on iPad/iPhone
Apple iOS Articulate Mobile Player in Apple iOS 6.0 or later on iPad
Android OS Articulate Mobile Player in Android OS 4.1 or later (optimized for tablets)

Also, please note that if you're publishing for CD or another local source, the courses will play in a form that is based on Internet Explorer, so even without internet access, they'll want to ensure they have the appropriate Flash version installed as described in the article.

Barbara Pando-Behnke

Thanks Christie.  I saw this information as well.  However, I'm still looking for info on the "viewing content" side such as:

1. Hardware
    CPU:  ?
  2. Memory: ?
  3. Available Disk Space: ?  
  4. Display: ?
  5. Multimedia: ?

Software
  6. Operating System: ?

I assume it would make a difference if the CPU or memory of a 10 year old desktop cannot handle an Articulate Studio 13 course.  That's the bare minimum I'm trying to get at.  I have no idea what state the computers in these remote locations are in and I'd like to know what they'd need in terms of the above to view the content. 

If I'm way off base and it really doesn't matter, I'd like to know that as well.  I'm not a programmer or an IT person in any stretch of the imagination.  :)  Just a person that's built some Studio 09 modules in the past. 

Justin Grenier

Good Afternoon, Barbara.

There are no specific hardware requirements for viewing content.  Generally speaking, if a machine is capable of running the Internet Browsers and Flash Player versions specified above, the machine will also be capable of playing back content from Articulate Presenter '13.

Please let us know if you need anything else, and good luck with your project!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.