poor video quality - .mp4 H.264

May 01, 2013

I'm inserting a video into a Presenter file. It is not being resized at all within Presenter. The video is 640 x 360. The data rate is 1.2 mbps. It looks great - very crisp, not blurry - when viewed outside of the presentation. As soon as I publish, the video quality degrades quite a bit - it starts looking very blocky. Is Presenter re-encoding? Is there a way to prevent this or better the quality?

Thanks!

8 Replies
Christine Hendrickson

Hi Shylah,

So the quality looks good prior to publishing, correct? 

Have you checked the quality settings for your presentation? You should be able to see these settings by clicking on "Presentation Options", followed by "Quality". 

Set your desired Compression settings:

• Optimize for Web Delivery: If you will primarily be publishing presentations that will be delivered on a Web server -- on either the Internet or an intranet -- then choose this as your default compression setting. Image compression is 75%, and the audio bitrate is 24 kbps.
  • Optimize for CD-ROM Delivery: If you will primarily be publishing presentations that will be delivered via CD-ROM, then choose this as your default compression setting. Images are not compressed, and the audio bitrate is 128 kbps.
  • Custom (Advanced): This option is recommended only for users with advanced knowledge of compression settings. Set the following options:
    • Image compression:
      • Lossless: Your images will not be compressed at all.
      • Lossy. The Quality factor for Lossy refers to .JPG. A quality factor of 75 is the default image setting when using Optimize for Web Delivery.
    • Resize factor: This is the threshold at which Presenter ’09 will resize your inserted images. If the source image is more than value of the resize factor times the size of the display size (default setting), then Presenter ‘09 will resize the image to the resize factor times the display size before inserting it to prevent Flash from scaling the image too much. The default setting of 2 is recommended.
    • Audio bitrate: Specify using the drop-down menu. The range is between 16 kbps and 160 kbps; the default is 24 kbps.

If you're currently using "Web Delivery" you can try using "Optimize for CD-ROM Delivery". This may improve the quality of your videos. 

Let me know if you see any improvement.

Thanks!

Christine Hendrickson

Hi Shylah,

Quick thought I just had; how are you viewing the published course when the video quality degrades? Are you viewing it locally or after you've uploaded it to a web server or LMS? If you view it locally and the quality is degraded you could try uploading it to a host and see if that improves. If, however, you upload the course and the quality is worse than how it appears locally, it may be an issue with the server that's hosting it. 

Have you read the tutorial on converting to FLV? You can find it here. Down at the bottom of the tutorial, there's a lot of information regarding quality and what you can do to try to improve it.

You may want to check the bit rates for your current video, as well as the other tips mentioned and see if that helps. 

Thanks again!

Christine Hendrickson

Hi Shylah,

If you'd like, you're welcome to share the project with us. We'd be happy to take a look and see if we can assist in improving the video quality. 

Please create an Articulate Presenter package by following the steps in the following article:

Send to Articulate Presenter Package

Attach the .ZIP file to the second page of the following form: 

Submit a Support Case

Please be sure to include a description of your issue and also include the URL for this thread in the case. Also, if possible, please share the case number with me, so I can follow up with you in this thread. You're welcome to share the case number in this thread, or send it to me in a private message.

Thanks!

Lisa Krone

I read through the all these suggestions, but the image above doesn't look like my version of Presenter 13. There is no quality options when uploading to an LMS. I have the same problem with the video looking blurry after publishing. The blurriness continues when it is run via the LMS. All of the tools are located on the Articulate ribbon in Powerpoint. Any suggestion you have that I can use with the latest version of Presenter 13 would be appreciated.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Lisa,

This discussion is quite a bit older, so I'd want to start from scratch and find out a bit more information from you on what you're seeing and where you're viewing the course.

In the meantime, you'll find the quality settings for Presenter 13 detailed in this article, and it should look like this:

Let me know where you've uploaded and viewed your Presenter course and if you're seeing the blurriness of your video across previewing and publishing. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.