Presenter 360 - Onscreen Graphic Preview Quality Degraded

Dec 30, 2016

Some of you may have noticed this already but in studio 360 when you go to preview a slide in presenter, the graphics resolution is degraded at the moment it is previewed, and even before the preview window fully renders on the screen the resolution of the PowerPoint slide drops noticeably, then as you move into the preview itself the quality is diminished probably by 30 to 50% while you are previewing, once you finish the preview the graphics quality in the PowerPoint slide returns to normal.

I am using studio 360 on one Windows 7 computer and using studio 2013 on another computer so I am absolutely positive this is happening as this only happens on the computer running studio 360.

In case you're wondering why I'm running two versions of Studio it's because Articulate 360 no longer supports the key PowerPoint function called "PowerPoint [Custom] Show which is critical to navigation on some of my main programs.

Jim

13 Replies
Crystal Horn

Hi Jim- thanks for pointing this out.  We'll do some testing on our end, but to be fair, it's likely that I won't be able to update this discussion until next Tuesday after New Year's Day.  

Are you able to successfully use custom shows in your Studio '13 files?  We did not officially support that PowerPoint hyperlink option in Presenter '13 either, but if you have an Articulate Package to share where that works, we can take a look!

Jim Powell

Hi Crystal, yeah it works in '13 as I used it to "hide" navigation from users there I need a slide to branch off somewhere and then return... long story, if you want me to send you a link I'll be happy to send you the pptx file.  

There's no hurry on the degraded graphics part of things, I don't need the preview to see what's on the page as I said, once previewed the powerpoint slide graphic returns to normal, but it's annoying... but I'll survive.  Give me a link to upload the pptx privately and I'll do that.  I don't want to share the powerpoint file other than you folks.  It took many hundreds of hours work on my point to map out the navigation jumps on this.

Jim Powell

I just thought of something.  I'm using an external monitor through a displayport connection, if you can't reproduce it and no other users notice anything that's probably the issue -- my connection to my external monitor.  I'm trying to reproduce it on my laptop monitor (my primary computer).

Still yellow after exiting and returning.  Let's see if it happens again, first time for me.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hey Jim,

Looks like this image may be in connection with the issue you and I were discussing here.  

I use an external monitor in addition to my laptop so have them split screen I guess? Mine is a Windows VM though running on a Mac - so my VM stays on my Thunderbolt monitor, and then my laptop I keep other Mac things running. 

Crystal Horn

Hi again.  Regarding the degraded viewing quality during preview, I submitted this information to our QA team to have a look at why the desktop preview seems to be a bit blurry.  On certain slides, I can see a difference between the authoring environment, the default desktop preview and the mobile device preview.  Once I have some additional information to share, I'll do so here!

Jim Powell

Hi, it's actually a MORE Important issue than it might seem, because:

• Sometimes the only way to do a screen-grab of something correctly is to either preview that slide or series of slides, or publish the whole program (very time-consuming).
  • Now is the quality of the preview is degrade it adds a HUGE amount of work to actually publish the program just to get a good quality screen grab.
  • Take for example a video, you want to grab a picture of the whole page, with the video on something other than the first frame, only way to do that is to preview it (or publish it).
Jim Powell

I updated to the latest build.  I was also on a screen-sharing with one of your senior tech and was able to easily replicate this.  In fact there's no way not to.  It's a nagging problem because I need to do screen-grabs and some of my files take 15 to 30 minutes to publish.  So this hurts. (32 Gb or ram, 2 TB of SSD, very fast processor, maximum power to the CPU, etc).

Actually it seems to happen most with presenter pages that contain a graphic img (I use pngs mostly) and in the process of rendering that .png it fuzzes up the whole thing? So maybe the software is saying "I'm going to save resources rendering that graphic that Jim has on the page, since it's just a preview" and in doing so knocks down the resolution not only of the graphic on the page but the preview of the entire page.  Maybe this is an undocumented "feature" to accelerate multi-screen previews?  That might make sense.

Katie Riggio

Hi, Jim! I'm really excited to let you know that we just released update 17 for Studio 360 – check out all the new features and fixes here!

One of the fixes addresses an issue where courses would appear blurry when you preview them or view the HTML5 output in Chrome.

Enjoy everything this update has to offer by launching the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer and then clicking on Studio's Update button. It's that simple 🌟 Thanks again for bringing this to our attention, and we're here if you need anything else!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.