Studio 360 - resolving various issues

Dec 06, 2020

Hi,

I'm using Studio 360 to prepare and publish files to Articulate Online (AOL) and have experienced several problems with the status of users after the files have been published to AOL and have been viewed by users i.e.

•   The number of slides can exceed 100% i.e.

if a user views a slide more than once, it seems each view of the same slide counts towards the number of slides viewed. Therefore, a user can have 120% “slides viewed” status even if some slides have not been viewed; and

there seems to be an issue with counting quiz slides where the quiz appears as a “single item” in the menu i.e. it seems that each quiz question is counted as a slide viewed even though the quiz counts as only 1 slide in the number of total slides; and

• Despite selecting "complete/incomplete" option (in the “tracking” panel, under “Properties”) when publishing the file, AOL reports each user’s status as "passed/failed"; and
  • There are negative results for quizzes in some circumstances – for example, where a user has answered survey questions - but has not answered any of the quiz questions.

I don’t think these problems are caused by AOL. Intead, I think the problems are caused by Studio 360. I have raised some of these issues in earlier posts. However, I’m concerned by the following post (on this site):

Source:
https://articulate.com/support/article/Articulate-Studio-360-Version-History
[December 2, 2020]

We froze feature development for Studio 360, meaning we won't make any significant changes to Presenter 360, Quizmaker 360, or Engage 360 going forward. We'll continue to fix issues that stem from operating system upgrades, browser updates, PowerPoint changes, and security vulnerabilities. And we're happy to help when you have questions about transforming presentations into e-learning courses. We believe it’s time to focus our resources on our most popular authoring apps that provide the most long-term value—Storyline 360 and Rise 360.

Please advise whether Articulate will be allocating the resources required to fix the existing functional problems with Studio 360, resulting in this product being fully functional in the near future.

Thanks.
Jon

5 Replies
Dave Neuweiler
Lauren Connelly

Hi Jon!

Since you're working with John, one of our Support Engineers, in a support case, we'll keep the conversation going in your case. Looking forward to resolving these issues you're having with Studio 360.

I don't think this answers the basic question. While Articulate says it will "fix issues that stem from operating system upgrades, browser updates, PowerPoint changes, and security vulnerabilities," nothing is said about fixing the existing "bugs" in the software.

So, what about all those previously identified bugs that went into the "How We Tackle Bugs" queue? What becomes of them?

Jon Greenheld

Hi Bret,

Thanks for your response above.

I am very concerned about the implications.

I have used earlier versions of Articulate Studio (i.e. Studio 2013 etc.) for at least 10 years. and have used this product to develop more than 50 presentations (comprised of at least 3,000 slides, most supported by audio narrations) and at least 250 quizzes (comprised of at least 5,000 questions).

I signed up for Articulate 360 in good faith and my decision to do so was largely based on a functional version of Studio 360 being made available i.e. Articulate's promotional material highlighted the need to shift from Flash to HTML5 by 31-Dec-20 and suggested there would be a seamless transition from Studio 2013 to Studio 360. However, this has not been my experience over the last month.

I suspect many (possibly thousands) of Studio 2013 users have also subscribed for Articulate 360 (or will do over the next 2 weeks):

• aiming to convert existing presentations and quizzes to HTML5 format using Studio 360; and
  • expecting Studio 360 to be fully functional.

Studio 360 is part of the Articulate 360 suite. Surely it's reasonable to expect this software will be updated on an ongoing basis and all bugs will be removed. The problems I have experienced relate to the status of users in the LMS (Articulate Online) and stem from the publishing options in Studio 360 . This aspect is a very important part of the learning management process. These problems do not relate to obscure matters and should have been detected when Studio 360 was  thoroughly tested. I did not experience these problems when using Studio 2013.

I don't think it's reasonable for Articulate to promote a product, receive payment, and then advise the subscriber that, despite the product not being fully functional, Articulate does not have plans to fix the bugs. 

In light of my comments above, please clarify Articulate's rationale for the position outlined in your message.

Thanks.

Jon     

Bret Jorgensen

Thank you for being a long-time Articulate customer and an early-adopter of Studio.

I recognize that you've put in a lot of time and effort into creating content in Studio 360, and appreciate you sharing the impact of our decision to freeze development on it.

We didn't make this decision lightly. We believe it's time to focus our resources on the enhancements to Articulate 360 that provide the most long-term value and have the widest impact.

We're still including Studio 360 in Articulate 360 for folks who would like to continue using it. And, it will continue to function as it does today. We'll also continue to fix issues that stem from operating system upgrades, browser updates, PowerPoint changes, or security vulnerabilities.

You can upgrade any legacy projects to Studio 360 seamlessly by opening the files with Presenter 360, Quizmaker 360, and Engage 360. You can also import those projects into Storyline 360 to take advantage of new features, such as closed captioning, a conditional seekbar, text-to-speech, and more.

And of course, we're here to support you when you have questions about transforming presentations into e-learning courses.