Where to go in 2018 for Studio 13 users?

Jan 15, 2018

It's now 2018. I am a Studio 13 user. We have a lot of course materials in Powerpoint and Quizmaker so moving to new software that requires completely new implementations is not an attractive option. 

We went to Studio 13 form Studio 9 primarily to pick up html 5 support which was a disaster for us and we had to drop the html 5 option from our publishing.

We were told that Articulate had a big html 5 development group looking into all the html 5 issues and was going to come out with new solutions but I have yet to hear about anything new. So we are still stuck with courses that can't run on natively iphones and ipads and require Flash browser apps.

So at this point there is no Studio 14, 15, 16, or 17 and I haven't heard anything about Studio 18.

I want to know what the company strategy is for customers like myself that aren't in a position to hop on the Storyline bandwagon or Articulate 360. 

I need the restricted settings of presenter that force the user to take every screen in the lesson and to not mark the student as done until they successfully complete the quiz at the end. 

I don't know what the path is for me and Articulate and I can't find any articles on the Articulate website that really addresses this at all.

What is my path to a solution that works for mobile devices and semi-popular browsers like Edge and Firefox? I am done with telling users to use Chrome and IE in compatibility mode. 

This is a question for the product managers at Articulate.

5 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Deb, 

Studio 360 supports Tin Can API - in addition to AICC, SCORM 1.2 and 2004. 

Did you previously run into issues needing Tin Can API content for use with the Mobile player? If so, Studio 360 has you covered there too. No need to use the Articulate Mobile player, because we have our new responsive player. Take a look at our general overview and FAQ on how that works here. 

Deb Munitz

Did the responsive player address the problem with HTML5 on iPads wiping out all progress? And is the data tracking stored compatible between Studio 13 and the new Responsive Player/360? Ie. if I simply republish the same PPT using the newer software and a student is midway in a lesson, can they simply pick up where they left off?

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Deb, 

When you update (overwrite) existing course files in your LMS or web server, learners who previously started the course won't be able to resume where they left off. They'll start over at the first slide in the updated course. You'll want to keep this in mind when updating courses that have already been delivered to learners.

As for the issue with content being wiped out on an iPad, I'm not familiar with that issue. Is this something you worked on our team within a Support case? If so, I can look into that (if you know the case number, even better!) and make sure it's resolved in Articulate 360. Also, you can take a look at the trial of Articulate 360 here!  You can use that to publish a copy of your Studio 13 course in Studio 360 to see how it behaves and plays back for you.  If you spot anything not working correctly, please don't hesitate to let us know.  As always, our Support Engineers are ready and able to help!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.