Wowsers! Voiceover at slow speed!

Jan 15, 2014

Here's one I've not encountered...

Imported voiceover for 33 screens, synced up animations.

On playback, for 3 of the 33 screens, the voiceover plays at 1about /2 or 1/4 normal speed. Voiceover played at normal speed during syncing.

I tried removing and re-importing the audio, but had the same result.

Then I copied the same screens from an earlier build into the project, and imported the audio to those. I previewed these screens without syncing animations. One of the screens played normally; the other two played at the slow speed.

As I continue to explore this unusual behavior, I thought I'd ask here if anyone else has seen something similar, and what the cause/fix was.

Best Regards,


3 Replies
Christine Hendrickson

Hi Dave,

That does sound strange! Are you still using Studio '09, or have you upgraded to '13?

If you're using '09, and you haven't already, it may help to try the suggestions in this article:

General audio issues in Presenter '09

I'm sure you probably are already doing this, but if not, please make sure that all of your project files are local:

  • Work on your local drive (your C: drive). Working on a network drive or a USB drive can cause erratic behavior, including file corruption, loss of audio, and other unexpected behavior. 
  • You should also make sure the directory path to your project files and your published output is less than 260 characters (for example C:\Articulate).
  • Avoid using special characters, accents or symbols in your file names (this includes spaces and underscores).

Additional information regarding "Naming Files, Paths, and Namespaces" in Windows operating systems can be found in the following Microsoft article.



Dave Neuweiler

Thanks for your reply, Christine.

It's the '09 version, and there are no "red flags" that apply from your list.

However,I've been able to narrow down the cause and work around it in the near-term.

The last thing I suspected was a corrupted PPTA file, so I made a copy of the project, and then deleted the PPTA file, so as to essentially start from scratch with just the PowerPoint. I imported the audio files and created a new PPTA. And the same thing happened. To me, that pointed the finger at the 3 audio files.

I can find no difference in these audio files and the others in the project (aside from the fact that they don't work after being published). They play normally in Windows Media Player, Audacity, and during synchronization in Articulate.

So I put them in Audacity, then exported them with new file names. And THOSE files worked normally after publishing. While the problem is solved, the mystery remains.


This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.