2022 Strategies for Managing Linked Media

Oct 03, 2022

Hello all! Over the years, I have observed different ways to handle slide events when dealing with linked media; for the purpose of this discussion, we will talk about videos.

We all know that when you link a video externally, you now have a separate timeline (the video's) that plays independently of your slide timeline.

If you want the learner to be prompted to go to the next slide or trigger a next button to appear when the video is done, the "old" (and only, as far as I know) way to do it is to make your slide timeline about the same length as the video and have it be a timeline event. In theory the learner would start watching and the video would end about the same time as the slide timeline and the next button would pop up.

Of course this is inelegant for obvious reasons. If the learner pauses or rewinds the video, the timing will be off, etc, etc.

I had once heard of there perhaps being a way to have the video source page fire a javascript trigger or some other sorcery that the Storyline wrapper could "hear."

Has anyone come up with a newer, better solution to handle this issue? Thanks!

3 Replies
Walt Hamilton

A better (in my mind) solution is to tie the two timelines together. Don't show the seekbar on the video. That way, the learner can't jump around in the video. Cover the video with a filled, 99% transparent shape. That way the learner can't stop the video by clicking it. Then the timeline of the slide controls both the slide and the video. The only way to pause the video, or rewind it, or jump ahead is the slide seekbar, which also executes the same action for the slide. (Personally, I don't often use the slide seekbar, I prefer to control things with triggers. If I need the learner to be able to pause the video, I give them Pause and Continue buttons.)