360 Issues: Issue #2 Blurry Screen Recordings

Aug 22, 2017

Hello!

I am having issues with my recordings being blurry. Here is the scoop:

They are records as slides, not a video 

They  look fine, until I make a change to something, example: editing the slide and removing the buttons

When viewed, they will either, look normal, then go blurry, or be blurry and then look normal. 

It doesn't seem to make a difference if it is done in view mode or try mode. I use both.

I do not believe this has to do with screen resolution, as I have tried many and it has made no difference. I make my resolution the same size as my recording screen, not full size. and like I mentioned, it will start out okay, then the slide will turn blurry, then the next slide will look fine, then when you click something, it will go blurry... for example.

This is very hard on the eyes and... horrible ... any help is appreciated!

98 Replies
Patrick Serumola

Hi Leslie,

Thanks for following up on this issue. The blurriness is in preview, review 360 and the LMS. I tried recording from Edge, IE and Chrome and no difference. If you can, may be  demonstrate how to do it better, starting from setting the laptop screen, web browser settings, Articulate 360 project size etc. My project/story size is 720x405 (16:9).

I used screen recording in another project, same laptop around October -December 2019 and didn't experience these level of blurriness. Would be really great if we can get this sorted out.

Thanks 

Lauren Connelly

Hi Patrick!

Thank you for sharing those extra details! It sounds like the blurriness isn't coming from a specific environment. In that case, the next step is taking a look at the project. Here's a secure upload link. We'll notify you when we receive it! Our Support Engineers will take a look at your file and determine what the fix is. 

Melissa  McKinney

There is nothing wrong with the graphics. I am recording software simulations. The recording size cannot be changed and should not be an issue. Originally when we purchased Storyline this was NOT an issue, then after some update it became and issue and has NEVER been resolved for me. 

Bryan Frame

LOL... I am just trying to help, Karen... 

The screen recording size is very much customizable... the dropdown at the bottom should be set to your exact story size.  Any shrinking or growing from the recording size causes blurryness... 

Also when you publish - make sure the graphics are at the highest level... to avoid blurryness..

Both work fine for all 4 developers here at our org...

Just trying to help... 

Lauren Connelly

Hello Melissa!

So sorry for the trouble this is causing within your project! I'd like our Support Engineers to step in, so I've opened a case on your behalf. You'll hear from their team shortly.

I also want to remind everyone of our Community Guidelines so that we can continue to make the E-Learning Heroes community equally helpful and respectful.

Jose Tansengco

Hello AV,

Sorry to hear that you ran into this behavior. A common cause for blurry screen recordings in Storyline 360 is a mismatch between the resolution of the screen recording and the slide size that your project uses. This article details some steps that you can try to maintain the quality of your screen recordings: 

Would you be willing to upload a copy of your project file here or in private by opening a support case so I can check your project to see what's the actual cause of the blurriness? We'll delete it when we're done testing! 

AV Price

As I said, "try all the options and when that fails". That means that I have reviewed the article and many others to no avail. Unfortunately, I am within a facility that will not allow for our CBT content to be shared. So you will just have to take my word, that it is blurry and that I have followed best practices. 

Eric Santos

Hi AV,

We appreciate your patience on this issue. By any chance, are you using multiple monitors when recording your screen? If so, please check out these recommendations to improve the quality. I'm not sure if you've already tried them:

• Set the Display Scaling to 100%
  • Use the Same Screen Resolution

This article has the details:

Storyline: Recording Your Screen with Multiple Monitors

Let me know if that helps!

AV Price
Eric Santos

Hi AV,

We appreciate your patience on this issue. By any chance, are you using multiple monitors when recording your screen? If so, please check out these recommendations to improve the quality. I'm not sure if you've already tried them:

• Set the Display Scaling to 100%
  • Use the Same Screen Resolution

This article has the details:

Storyline: Recording Your Screen with Multiple Monitors

Let me know if that helps!

Thank you very much. You know, I am not sure that I have looked at this one. Will certainly give it a try.