Articulate 360 Not Maximizing Properly with Dual Screens

Apr 06, 2023

I've been having an issue for a LONG time with Storyline 360 not maximizing properly after minimizing.  Let's say I am working on my primary monitor with Storyline 360 maximized to fill the screen and then I click the minimize button, or click on the task bar icon to minimize Storyline to the task bar.  When I click on the Storyline icon to restore it to my screen it only restores to partial width of my screen -- and the buttons in the upper right corner are Minimize and Restore Down.  I have to click Restore Down and then Maximize to return Storyline to full screen on my primary monitor.  This is a VERY annoying issue.

This closed support thread discusses a similar issue and from some of the suggestions I found the issue was due to my two monitors being in different orientations:  https://community.articulate.com/discussions/articulate-storyline/how-to-stop-storyline-app-going-full-screen-when-maximized

I have two screens with the same resolution (1900x1200).  My main monitor is landscape and my secondary monitor is portrait.  The portrait monitor works best for my workflow to view full page documents and email. 

If I have Storyline 360 on my secondary portrait monitor, it will reduce and restore to full screen with no issues, but Storyline 360 is not designed for this orientation of monitor and cannot be used this way.  It is too narrow.

When Storyline 360 is on my primary monitor it will restore to the height my primary landscape monitor and width of my secondary portrait monitor.  In other words, Storyline restores to the minimum height and width between the two monitors.  Storyline also seems to extend a few pixels onto the secondary monitor.  Why does Storyline minimize and restore properly on my secondary monitor, but not my primary monitor?  How do I fix this? 

4 Replies
John Morgan

Hi Daniel,

Great question! I understand that your Storyline window restores to the width of your secondary portrait monitor while displaying on your primary landscape monitor. I’m happy to work with you to figure out why this is happening!  I have a couple of follow-up questions regarding the situation so I can understand what you are experiencing a little better.

• Is your Storyline window the only one this is happening with? After doing a Google search on the issue, I read that this has happened with other types of windows as well.
  • Are you dragging the windows between the two monitors with your mouse? Using the WIndows+Shift+Arrow Keys shortcut to move your windows between monitors may be able to help with this.

Thanks for reaching out and I look forward to your response!

Daniel Chodos

John,

This issue is only happening with Storyline.  I'm not dragging the Storyline window between monitors.  When Storyline is maximized on my primary (landscape) monitor it extends a few pixels onto my 2nd (portrait) monitor.  When maximized on my 2nd monitor it extends about 1 inch onto my primary monitor.    This occurs whether my monitor resolution is set at its native 1900x1200 or 1900x1080.