Can anyone help me with this dial activity in Storyline 360?

Oct 07, 2022

Hi guys, could anyone give me some advice about a dial activity I am trying to build in Storyline? I want to use a dial for the circular image and for the learners to turn it to the right answer when a series of text boxes is displayed. The text boxes will have paragraphs and the learner has to choose the right section of the dial and then click Submit. I'm thinking I may need to do a series of slides rather than one so I can use Submit? I haven't worked with variables before and am not sure how to start to get my head around how to do this. Any help would be amazing! I'm attaching a screenshot.

3 Replies
Judy Nollet

If you want this to be a graded activity with a Results slide to report to the LMS, then you do need a series of slides.

• Those have to be standard Graded Question slides or Freeform Question slides.
  • There's no "dial" question, but you could have a hidden radio button, so the slide could be a "Pick One" question. Then have the Submit button change the state of the "correct" radio button to Selected with the condition that the dial is in the right location (more on that below).

Otherwise, this could be done with a series of slides or as layers on one slide. That decision is really a matter of programming preference.

When you insert a dial, Storyline automatically creates a Dial# variable.

• The value of that variable automatically adjusts when the user moves the dial.
  • You can also move the dial with a trigger that adjusts the value of the variable.
  • During development, it helps to reference the variable in a text box, so you can see whether its value is changing as expected. 

The variable's value corresponds to its position, so you can use the value (or range of values) to determine whether the user moved the dial to the correct position. 

• There could be a trigger that shows your True layer when the Submit button is clicked with the condition that the variable equals the correct value.
  • Another trigger would show your Try Again layer when the Submit button is clicked with the condition that the variable doesn't equal the correct value.
  • Similar triggers could be used to select the hidden radio button I mentioned above for making this a graded freeform question.

Here are some related User Guide articles: