Character state change flashes Storyline 360

Jun 19, 2017

Sorry if this is a duplicate posts. Cannot find the original. Timeline cues for character change state. Looks good in preview, but in published there is a white moment, a between state changes of the character. I've tried the fixes I have seen in older threads. No go. I'll try to attach sample slide. Any new fixes I can try?

30 Replies
Emily Brien

Ah! One more thing. My first edit removed the body flicker that was occurring between state changes, but it didn't resolve the head flicker between slides. 

For that, I figured the issue was with the gif "reloading," which I've noticed in some of my projects, too. To fix, I added a static PNG version of the head behind the gif in each state. Technically, if you were planning to start each slide with the normal state enabled, then you'd only need the static PNG in the normal state.

I duplicated the edited slide to test, and the head flicker is gone. See attached.

Glenda DeHoff

UPDATE to my UPDATE

I added the fae to a slide master hoping That would improve my continuity. Alas, it did not.

Becca Levan: Thanks for passing me along to Support. I received an email from them that told me I had fade-out animations on the graphics in the states of my character. Thank you, Emily Brien! I am in the process of fixing that. 

She also advised me to use a static png for the head til the gif loads. Testing that, as well. You guys rock!

Angelica Boyd-Devine

Hello! I submitted a support ticket and shared my file (case #03067539) but I thought it'd be helpful to also share with this thread.

I'm also experiencing flickers on my character states. I have a character with 4 states that changes depending on the state of a number variable (defined early on in the activity). The character state is supposed to happen as soon as the timeline starts on the slide (i.e., "change state of character to sad—if avatar=1—when timeline starts on this slide") but the user can noticeably see the state change. There is a quick flickering effect.

Is there a way around the state delay? For instance, is there a way to update the state of a character on ALL slides once the variable is set instead of updating the state on each slide?

Thanks in advance for the thoughts and ideas!

Va Eagle

I'm currently having this issue with a .png to .gif state character and gif to gif state character.

The first character's normal state is a png. When the user selects a certain point on the screen, the character moves along a motion path towards that point and switches states to a gif. When the character moves along the motion path, it often disappears for a whole second or more while viewing in Chrome.

The same issue happens with the second gif-to-gif character.

Has anyone else noted this issue resurfacing? Is anything being done to fix it?