Compatibility of .story files between SL3 and SL360

Jul 07, 2020

We have a .story file initially created using SL360 (build 3.41.22509.0).  We need to now open and publish this file in SL3 (build 3.1.12115).  The file will NOT open.  We attempted to remove "characters" from the .story to see if it would open, but that did not work.  We have an emergency need to get this solved. We do NOT want to have to recreate the course from scratch in SL3.  

The .story file will open in SL3 (build 3.8.20838.0), if that provides any clues.  

4 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hi Jody,

Thank you for contacting us with your concerns.

What is the compatibility of .story files between SL3 and SL360?

The current version of Storyline 3, which is Update 10, restores compatibility with Storyline 360. So, Storyline360 Update 41 is compatible with Storyline 3 Update 10:

Compatibility Between Storyline 360 and Storyline 3 Project Files

You can glance through the link above and see all the reasons the files may not be compatible, but I'm curious as to why you'd like to publish with Update 1 (Build 3.1.12115.0 from January 2017) Storyline 3 vs. the latest update, which is Build 3.10.22406.0.

Jody Frederick

Unfortunately, we are constrained by needing to use Storyline 3 build 3.1.12115.0 due to the limitations of our current (and aged) Learning Management System (LMS).  Would you be able to tell me the differences between these two Storyline 3 builds:

and

My .story file built with Storyline 360 opens in Storyline 3 (3.8.20838.0).  Trying to figure out what the difference is between the two builds listed above so I can know what elements I need to strip out so that it will open in build 3.1.12115.0.  

Jody Frederick

Believe me @leslieMcKerchie, it is not our choice to have to use such an old version of Storyline 3, but you might discover that enterprise customers are constrained by aged LMS systems that are not easily replaced or upgraded.

Workaround

We stumbled upon a clunky workaround that eventually let us open our Storyline 360 .story file in the Storyline 3.1.x version that we had to use. 

I had 5 .story files that were affected.  For an unknown reason, one of the .story files opened in SL 3.1.x, the other four failed with a message saying that the project uses features not supported in this version and to upgrade (which doesn't solve our problem now, does it?).  So, we used the .story file of the one file that opened properly as a "base".  We opened it in SL 3.8.x and then manually copied over content from the non-working files one-by-one.  Saved it, and then tried opening it in 3.1.x.  It worked.  I'd love to know WHY (was it fonts? media library?) but will probably never pinpoint the reason why one file worked and 4 failed.   

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.