Convert Storyline 360 to 3 to 2?

Feb 13, 2019

Hi, If a piece of learning has been created in Storyline 360 is it possible to save it in a format that would be accessible to Storyline 3 or 2. Assume that no Storyline 360 specific features are included. 

We run Storyline 3 but its an old build (1: 3.1.12115.0) as our IT infrastructure makes it difficult to take updates. We have had some issues recently where external providers have created the Storyline files and we can't open them and I am trying to find out all possible options.

14 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hey Chris! You're spot on.

Storyline 360 projects open in Storyline 3 unless you imported assets directly into the media library in Storyline 360 or enabled the quizzing feature that lets learners review/retry only the questions they get wrong

You can read more about Storyline 360 and Storyline 3 project file compatibility here

Let us know if you have more questions about that!

Scot Vessell

I would say this advice is no longer true. Please correct me if I am wrong. I just opened a SL3 file in SL360. Unfortunately I hit SAVE at the end when I wanted to hit DON'T SAVE. Apparently in the background SL360 upgraded the text using Text Autofit Improvements. Now the file is no longer accessible in SL3. My vendor only uses SL3. Luckily the artifacts are saved so it won't take months to reassemble another version. But an SL360 file won't necessarily open in SL3. I'd love to be wrong. Please tell me I'm wrong.

Leslie McKerchie

Hey Scot, and welcome to E-Learning Heroes. 😊

I appreciate you sharing what you've experienced with your project file, and I'd be happy to help.

You're right (I know, it's not what you asked). There are a few features in SL360 that are not compatible with SL3 at this time, and the Text Autofit Improvements are one of them.

Here is an article that we keep up-to-date with this information and compatibility changes:

Compatibility Between Storyline 360 and Storyline 3 Project Files

In addition to your upgraded SL360 .story file, you should see a backup .story file with the same name. This file will open in SL3 as expected.

Walt Hamilton

I found this post a while back at https://community.articulate.com/discussions/articulate-storyline/text-autofit-improvements-turn-off  Here is the significant part of the post:

I had this same issue (autofit feature being applied in 360, rendering my file Storyline 3-incompatible) and was helped by Darwin at Articulate. He provided some instructions and a walkthrough video. This worked for me. Thought I would post here in case anyone else is experiencing this and needs help:

Here are the steps in the workaround:

1. Create a copy of the .story file.
2. Rename the duplicate file to .zip.
3. Extract the file to a folder.
4. In that folder, click docProps and then open featureManifest.xml in a text editor, such as Notepad++.
5. Remove the following line below:

<TextScrolling3 description-2052="?????????" description-1033="Text Autofit Improvements" description-1036="Améliorations de l'ajustement automatique du texte" description-1031="Verbesserte automatische Textfeldanpassung" description-10="Mejoras de ajuste automático de texto" />

6. Once you save your changes, select all the contents in the folder and extract them to a new compressed (zipped) folder.
7. Rename the new zip file to .story and open it in an earlier version of Storyline 360
KUNAL MI

Could you please convert the attached file made in storyline 360 to storyline 3. The file is mistakenly saved in storyline 360 and now unable to open in storyline 3. In case conversion is not possible, please suggest course of action to copy all data, animation, layer properties from storyline 360 file to storyline 3. please help.