Creating multiple Try Again layers in Storyline 360

Jul 24, 2018

I have a numeric value quiz set up with three attempts.  I would like to have two different Try Again layers, one to appear after the first incorrect attempt and the second to appear after the second incorrect attempt.  Is this possible?  Thanks!

5 Replies
Veronica Budnikas

Hi Bonnie,

It most certainly is! You'll need to use variables:

1. Set up a T/F variable and call it something descriptive, say, 'attempt_1', and set it to False.
  2. On the first 'try again' layer, add a trigger to adjust attempt_01 to True when the timeline starts.
  3. On the base layer, add a trigger to show layer second attempt when the user clicks Submit IF 'attempt01' is equal to True and [the questions options are incorrect. Depending on your question, this might be 'Option 1 is not Selected' for example in the case of a T/F question.

There's another way you could do it, potentially simpler depending on what you have on the Try again layer. If you are just giving the user different feedback on each try again, then you could:

1. Follow steps 1 and 2 above.
  2. Create two (or more) 'feedbacks' on a single try again layer (say it's two text boxes).
  3. Set the text boxes to Hidden.
  4. Add triggers to Change state of feedback 1 to Normal if 'attempt_1' is False.... and Change state of feedback 2 to Normal if 'attempt_1' is equal to True. 

Something like that should work. Not sure whether you've worked with variables before, feel free to reply here of you need further help or if you want to upload work in progress, I'd be happy to have a look for you.

Hope this helps!

Theresa Halverson

Hi Veronica,

I am working with the same scenario and this seems like a great solution for it, but even though I've followed your steps in the first example, the second "Try Again" feedback never shows; the first "Try Again" feedback shows twice and then the incorrect feedback shows for the third attempt. Any suggestions? I'm attaching a compilation of screenshots from the quiz question with the layers. Thanks so much!

Veronica Budnikas

Hi Theresa,

I've done a sample file, attached here. 

I think the issue was that the question was being submitted before that trigger could fire, so I have changed things around a bit, namely:

• On the original TRY AGAIN layer, I placed a few triggers in the following order:
  • I created two more try again layers (TRY AGAIN 1 & TRY AGAIN 2)
  • I created a number variable to keep track of the attempts, and placed on the TRY AGAIN layer

1. Add 1 to number variable 'attempts' when timeline starts
  2. Show layer TRY AGAIN 1 when timeline starts if 'attempts' = 1
  3. Show layer TRY AGAIN 2 when timeline starts if 'attempts' = 2

• I set the question to be 3 attempts. You can do as many as you like, you'll just need to add more try again layers, and equivalent triggers on the original TRY AGAIN layer

Hopefully the file attached helps, and let me know if you have any questions!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.