Embed a video without using an iframe tag - SL360

Jul 11, 2017

Hello all,

I have a particularly tricky task with one client. We have created an interactive video learning module which includes a series of videos and plays a particular strand of the story based on a series of choices the user makes along the journey.

We initially served the videos into Storyline from Vimeo, used a chunk of JavaScript to communicated from the video and the storyline slides and it all worked perfectly.

We have now been told by our client that videos cannot be streamed from Vimeo as it is not an approved service and that the videos need to be on their own Media delivery server.

However, there is very limited support for this and no API access, one of their techs has given me a script which will execute a JavaScript when the video ends, however I am now told they do not support the videos working within iframes!!

So after all this I am stuck with too many obstacles and no solutions from their tech team! Their latest suggestion is to embed videos into Storyline using the <video></video> tags instead of <iframe></iframe> but SL360 doesnt like this and wont allow me.

I have tried putting their working HTML page into an inserted web object as in theory that would work, until their media server throws up and error and says the content is unable to be played within an iframe.

Does video embedding in SL360 have to be done specifically through an iframe tag or has anyone got any other tips or tricks to getting around this? The suggested code they have given me, but SL360 dislikes, to embed the videos is:

<video id="mdsVideo" preload="none" autoplay="" poster="https://mds.novartis.net/wp-core/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php?action=downloadvideo&vid=18948&type=thumb" src="https://mds.novartis.net/wp-core/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php?action=downloadvideo&vid=18948&type=video" controls controlsList="nodownload" oncontextmenu="return false" preload="none" style="width:100%">Your browser is not able to play this video format.</video>

7 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Darren, 

Sounds like you've hit a number of snags on this one! 

The Javascript elements are something I'll leave to the community's expertise - but I wanted to share some more info on inserting videos. There are three ways to insert videos into Storyline:

What error message do you see when trying to use that code in Storyline?

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Kathryn, 

YouTube/Vimeo aren't the only supported options for inserting a video using embed codes, but they easily generate embed codes that Storyline can recognize.

If your client's website doesn't allow you to pull that embed code, have you looked at the option for inserting it as a web object? You'd only need to include the URL for the video. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.