Embedded and Inserted Videos not auto-playing in Storyline 360 Project?

Jan 18, 2018

Hello, 

Is anyone having trouble with videos auto-playing in Storyline? I've been trying everything to get a short video which was edited in Premiere and made into an mp4 video file to autoplay in a Storyline project I'm working on. I've inserted the video and triggered it to autoplay once the user visits a particular slide... but with no luck. I've also made sure that the "Play Video" selection on the ribbon is set to play automatically... still nothing. Then I've tried embedding the video into the project from YouTube then Vimeo... both options didn't work. 

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Sadig

33 Replies
Sadig Algazzali

Good morning Alyssa, 

So, my clients have just changed their minds and now they actually would like a looping photo carousel in a few of the slides in place of an autoplaying video clip. Would you have any idea on how to create a photo carousel? Should I post a new discussion about this? What do you suggest?

Thanks so much for your support, 

Sadig

Sadig Algazzali

Hey Alyssa, 

So the problem was so simple to resolve... another member of the community here sent me an example and I was able to follow the directions and get it to work. Basically, you've got to use the timeline to layer the photos in a way that it looks like a staircase (I did them in 5 second increments) making sure each picture disappears and the other appears... then just adding a fade in and fade out to each. After that, I just created a trigger that had the slide "start over" once the timeline ends. It's now working perfectly!

Thanks so much for your help, 

Sadig

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Varsha!

Happy to help! Are you also using Storyline 360? If so, are you on the latest update? To check, click the Help tab, then click About Storyline. You should see 3.16.15842.0 in the bottom-right corner. 

If you're already on the latest update and your videos still aren't playing in Storyline preview, I'd want to take a closer look at your file. 

You can attach it in a new reply right here!

Ritesh  Ojha

Hello everyone,

I'm currently facing issue related to auto play of video in Storyline 360(V21). Here is the steps to replicate it - 

1. change the bookmarking settings as Always Resume

2. Publish and launch the course in chrome(70)

3. Go to the video page where it should have played automatically.

4, It plays the video first time, But when we exit the course and launch it again, video won't play automatically, you have to click on the screen to play it. 

I've attached the sample SL file for reference. Please let me know what causes the issue. Is it related the autoplay policy of CHROME with Always Resume feature in the course! If yes, that please let me know the alternates keeping in mind that we don't want to show the prompt to resume pop up as we have communicated with client that our course will always be Resume without popup.  

Please help!

Regards,

Ritesh Ojha

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Ritesh,

Thanks for sharing your file and details about how you've set up the course. I'm seeing the same behavior testing your course and my own demo file. It seems that in Chrome and Safari they both are requiring a click within the window or on the slide to restart the video, whereas in Internet Explorer, Edge or Firefox the video is restarting automatically. 

I'm going to share this with a few colleagues to confirm if this is connected to the Chrome/Safari autoplay behavior or not - my first thought is that since you have already chosen to play the video you should see it restart or at least be presented with the play button again. 

Ritesh  Ojha

Hi Ashley,

Thanks for your response.

Though I know about the behavior of Chrome and Safari for the restrictions in auto play, yet I want to clarify one thing about the bookmarking feature in SL360.

When we change the bookmarking feature as Prompt to Resume, it shows a pop up whether user wants to resume where he left the course or not!  Video will play without any issue when we opt as Yes while resuming.

I want to know when we re launch the course with prompt to resume feature, does course automatically pre-loads it's target slide to either at bookmarking slide or at start when opted Yes or No respectively? I may be wrong but I just want to know how prompt to resume works at the back end as the issue is not there but I don't want the pop up to be appeared.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Ritesh Ojha

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Ritesh,

Your correct - that if you enable the prompt to resume, then the learner is clicking on the resume button and the video will start automatically.

That's a part of what I'm checking with my team - is that since there isn't a way for the learner to activate the slide with a play button or accepting the prompt that the video is not autoplaying. 

I'll let you know here as soon as I have more info on this! 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.