Error playing audio

Hi

Another glitch today! The audio in one of the slides does not play. Nothing happens when try to play the slide and if I preview the slide, it displays a blank player screen with no slide content. I can play the audio by selecting it in the timeline and clicking preview. All other slides seem to be okay so far. This slide has markers in it so am wondering if this has anything to do with the markers? When I try to copy this slide into a new project, some design elements are lost from the template (part of the background are not being copied across). This has only happened since I installed the last update.

Grateful for any help.

Sampath

5 Replies
Christine Hendrickson

Hi Sampath,

I'm sure you've already checked, but please make sure that the project files are local:

  • Work on your local drive (your C: drive). Working on a network drive or a USB drive can cause erratic behavior, including file corruption, loss of audio, and other unexpected behavior. 
  • You should also make sure the directory path to your project files and your published output is less than 260 characters (for example C:\Articulate).
  • Avoid using special characters, accents or symbols in your file names (this includes spaces and underscores).

Additional information regarding "Naming Files, Paths, and Namespaces" in Windows operating systems can be found in the following Microsoft article.

Also, you mentioned that you're concerned about the markers on the slide causing problems with this. Have you tried inserting the audio into a blank slide, with no other content. Does it play, when previewed on this slide?

What format is the audio file?

If you'd like, you're welcome to share the .STORY file here. I'd be happy to take a look.

Thanks!

Sampath Sundar

Thanks for the reply Christine. I have managed to fix the issue - the problem was with an object in the slide. There are a couple of text boxes on the slide, one that has a copyright message and the other is a "Click next to proceed" prompt that is set to appear at the end of the audio narration. I have copied these text boxes to all the relevant slides and they seem to appear as objects with triggers that are automatically created and cannot be deleted. Not sure why this happens or whether this is normal behaviour. The trigger just says "Set NextPrompt1 equal to the typed value When the control loses focus". The other text or content on the slides do not create these triggers.

On the slide that did not play, I had deleted this Next prompt and copied and pasted the text box again from the previous slide in the scene. I have now deleted these objects from the slide and copied them again from the same slide in a previous version of the file and that fixed it. Can't understand why this happened though but perhaps has a simple explanation. I can copy these slides into a new story file and upload it if necessary.

Thanks again

Sampath

PS: The slides without the audio but with the objects that caused the error are in a story file that I uploaded yesterday here: http://community.articulate.com/forums/p/43011/232489.aspx#232489

Christine Hendrickson

Hi Sampath,

Excellent - thanks very much for sharing that information. I'm happy to hear that you were able to find the cause here.

It sounds like it may have been caused from copying and pasting those along multiple slides, or possibly some corruption with the file. If you see this happening again, it may help to try importing the project into a new file. 

Importing from Another Storyline Project - E-Learning Heroes

That usually resolves issues with corruption. 

If it still happens after trying that, try duplicating the slide with the original objects and triggers. Try modifying the triggers on the duplicated slide. If you're able to do so, that might be the best method to use - it sounds like the triggers break/get stuck when they're copied over. 

Thanks!

Sampath Sundar

Thanks Christine. There must have been a trigger created in one of the original slides that was then copied over when I copied the text box. I could not delete these triggers either. I have now deleted all these text boxes (objects) and created a new one. I am now able to copy this to other slides without creating any object triggers. A bit of work (250 slides!) but at least identified and fixed now

Sampath