Fatal Error issue...

Sep 22, 2016

Hi ,

We have a few Storyline modules that are loaded to Cornerstone LMS and when a user comes to a certain slide, a popup error appears when viewing the slide...

"A fatal error has occurred communication with the server has been lost". It doesn't happen on other slides and the user's connection seems to be fine. The interactions on the slide all function fine and when we test in different browsers locally, we cannot replicate this issue.

Has anyone seen this before? Is there a way to fix this in Storyline or is it an LMS issue? I really want to help resolve this issue for our client, but when we test it locally and it works, I'm not sure what we can do.

Oh and our modules were created and published with Storyline 1 and SCORM. I seriously wouldn't think it would be a Storyline version issue as all the other modules work fine. It's just one or two module files that produce this fatal error.

Would appreciate your help!



5 Replies
Ali Goulet

Hi Jason-

Well that's quite the ominous error! I would recommend first troubleshooting your LMS using SCORM Cloud to see if this is a file specific issue or LMS related. If you're not seeing that error when viewing in SCORM Cloud, reaching out to your LMS for further troubleshooting would be your best course of action. However, if you're able to reproduce this in SCORM Cloud, would you mind sharing your project files here so I can do some testing? You can add it as an attachment right to a comment in this thread.

Keep me posted and let me know if you have questions. Thanks!

Jason Dumois


That error popup has "cloud.scorm.com" at the top of it. We've checked the page in storyline and don't see any issues. It works great locally. Any other ideas?

We're not allowed to share source files, unfortunately.

The only other idea we have is to re-publish from Storyline 2. Do you think this popup error relates to SCORM and their LMS?

Ali Goulet

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the additional details! It may very well be related to the LMS. The best way to tell would be to test the published course out in SCORM Cloud itself following these instructions to see if the same error occurs there as well. If you're not able to see that error testing it in SCORM Cloud, which is an industry standard for LMS, then reaching out to Cornerstone would be the way to go.

Keep me updated on your findings! 

John Overbey

I'm currently working to resolve this exact issue with several APAC language courses. Specifically, courseware translated into Korean, Japanese and Mandarin.    This content is hosted and delivered through SCORM Cloud, and dispatched to multiple LMS systems.   I have not determined the exact root cause, however, I have been able to resolve the issue by translating Scene titles and course player navigation back to English.   From what I can tell, Storyline's support for Logographic and Syllabic alphabets is the issue.   Each course has required slightly varying levels of adjustments so, still no smoking gun.   


Ali Goulet

Hey John! Thanks for popping in here to let us know about this. If you have a specific course that you're seeing this in, I would invite you to share it with our Support Engineers by submitting a case over here. They'll be able to investigate this further with you directly. If you go this route, be sure to share your case number here so I can follow along! :) 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.