HELP!!!

Jan 25, 2013

I downloaded two audio files (into music and narration) as .wav files. I deleted the files and converted them to mp3. I tried importing them, but now, alI see is a placeholder.  Deleted the object.  Renamed file and saved.   Started again, this time creating a slide and importing a picture from a file. Got a placeholder and no image. 

I thought I migh have a virus.  Nope.  I have 12GB of RAM and project is on 1TB hard drive.

Anybody have any ideas what happened or be happening??

15 Replies
Alan Landers

It's gotten worse.  None of the little stories I've created have any graphics.  They only have the triggers and items inserted Storyline.

I've rebooted, I've saved under a new name. I've checked the graphic files and I can import them into other programs.  It's something unique to Storyline.

I'm just learning SL and I've spent at least 50 hours since Sunday working on it.  I want to use the program I created as a demo and post it on my web.

Help!!  Please.

Christine Hendrickson

Alan,

Yes, you can reinstall the software, this won't effect your saved courses. However, if the issue is with the files themselves, this won't resolve the problem.

Are you able to post one of the .story files here, so I can take a look? If I can see the content, the file may be fine and we can work with the software.

Thanks!

Alan Landers

I thought you might like some background on how this came about...

I was working on a story since Sunday.  I was down to adding audio, transitions, and the final test, when all of my images disappeared!!

Here’s when it started.

I downloaded two WAV files: one with the intro music and the other with my intro narration.  They were uncompressed and played several times without any problems.  I started editing the intro, making several minor edits.

I saved the file and closed it.  I opened it later and I saw a message that the WAV files were downloading.  After they downloaded, I deleted them so I could convert them to MP3s to make them smaller. Storyline wouldn’t delete them. I waited and waited and nothing happened.  After about 45 minutes, I shut down the program.  Rebooted my computer and tried to open the file again.  Bam! All my graphic files were invisible in the slide view.

I can see them in story view, but when I click on a slide all I see are the objects that I entered through Storyline.  I tried publishing the file.  That went okay, but I couldn’t see the pictures.

I’m feeling really badly since I’ve spent more than 70 hours developing this.

Do you have any idea what may have caused this to happen?

Christine Hendrickson

Good morning Alan,

I'm very sorry for the delay in response. I'm not in the office over the weekends. I have read your latest posts, though. 

It sounds, to me, like the main issue occurred when the software was closed (when you had difficulty with the audio files). If you had to force close the software, or if you shut off the machine, it may have damaged the project files. However, I don't know this for sure.

I took a look at your case this morning and your files are currently being tested. The case has also been escalated. I'm not sure if you've received the original case creation confirmation (it would be a message stating your case has been created, along with the case number, etc.). It was sent at 4:45pm on the 25th. You should receive a response from support soon, once they've finished testing the files. I'll also keep watch on the case status, so I can give you any updates, just in case you're not seeing the emails.

I know you've put a lot of work into this and I'm so sorry you've run into this trouble. Hopefully, we'll have an answer for you soon.

Thanks, Alan.

Christine

Alan Landers

Hi Christine,

Thank you so much for your caring.  I've already started recreating the story.  I'd like to know what happened so I don't make the mistake again, but you don't have to try to fix it.  I just bit the bullet and decided to do it again.  Besides, the practice won't hurt since this is my first project.

BTW, I haven't had any probs with this latest iteration.  I'm saving about every 5 minutes.  And I think it's a better program.  Would you like to see it when it's done?

Alan

Christine Hendrickson

Hi Alan,

No problem, I totally understand. I'll still follow the case, to see if we're able to determine what happened, or at least what's going on with that specific file.

Sure, I would love to see the finished product! I'm not sure how you intend on distributing the content, but if you plan on hosting it on a server, you're welcome to share the link here, or send it to me in a private message. I'll be sure to check it out

Good luck with the project.

I hope you have a great day, Alan!

Christine

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.