Hiding Next Button

May 21, 2024

I am working on a project that contains a home slide with 5 boxes users need to click that takes them to a new scene. I added triggers to hide the next button when the timeline starts on the home page and for it to re-appear after the state of the objects being clicked are all Visited. After interacting with all of the buttons, the Next button does not reappear. Do I need to publish the file first? I've only tested it in preview mode.  Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I've done this before with layers. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

4 Replies
Judy Nollet

Best guess: The Next button is quickly unhidden when you click the final button, because at that point, all the buttons will be Visited. But you won't see that happen, because the click jumps you to another slide.

However, if your trigger to hide the Next button doesn't have any conditions, it will always re-hide it when the user returns to the slide. 

If that's the issue, the solution is to add conditions to the trigger that hides the Next button, so it won't run when all of the buttons are Visited. 

FYI: Because Visited is a built-in state, a button will change to Visited as soon as it is clicked. If the user only has one slide to visit before returning, it's fine to use that. However, if the scenes are longer, it's better to use a custom state, with a trigger that only changes the button to that state if the entire scene has been viewed. There's more about that in this post: https://community.articulate.com/discussions/articulate-storyline/create-a-custom-menu-slide 

Nedim Ramic

An alternative, less time-consuming solution is to set your "Home" slide to "Resume saved state" when revisited. Adjust the trigger as depicted in the screenshot. A video demonstrating this solution is attached for reference. However, I strongly recommend following Judy's suggestion above to delve deeper into working with variables.