Hotspots and layers

Jul 02, 2014

I have a question regarding hotspots and layers. I know this has to be something super easy and I've actually done it before but can't for the life of me figure it out at the moment. I have looked through the tutorials and the forums and have yet to find the answer. Of course, I have a deadline tomorrow!

I've got several hotspots on the main timeline which, when clicked, will bring up their respective layer. You're supposed to be able to click another hotspot (or button, I've tried both elements) and bring up another layer. But once I click on the hotspot and bring up it's layer, I cannot click on any of the remaining hotspots. I'm 'stuck' on that layer.

Any suggestions? I've attached the file. Thanks!

6 Replies
Michael Hinze

Janet Chafey said:

Arghh!

Okay, so I'm not going crazy. Just opened your file and it works! And other than the name changes, the coding is all the same. I wonder why mine doesn't work?

Thank you for checking it out. I at least I know I'm setting everything up correctly. I just wonder if my software is buggy?

As I said, it didn't see anything wrong with your triggers. I simply created new layers, added your content and changed the hotspot triggers to show the new layers. Just one of those things, I guess
Janet Chafey

I'm back to having the same issue. The slide is slightly different than the previous one. The other hotspots won't work after clicking on the first one.

Is anyone else having problems with hotspots? It's really frustrating to be doing everything right and not get it to work.

Is this a bug? How can I get this feature to work correctly?

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Janet,

If the file is behaving erratically you may want to confirm you're following along with these guidelines that are known to cause issues with Storyline files:

• Work on your local drive (your C: drive).Working on a network drive or a USB drive can cause erratic behavior, includingfile corruption, loss of audio, and other unexpected behavior. 
  • You should also make sure the directory pathto your project files and your published output is less than 260 characters(for example C:\Articulate).
  • Avoid using special characters, accents orsymbols in your file names.

You can also try importing an existing file into a new Storyline project as described here, and if it's happening consistently within your Storyline files it's also worth conducting the repair steps detailed here. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.