Importing Powerpoint into Storyline

Nov 25, 2013

I am having issues with Storyline in that it won't allow me to import a PowerPoint.  I get the following message:

"Import could not proceed because it could not connect to PowerPoint. This occurred because PowerPoint is configured to run as administrator"

I have tried the following:

Run as Administrator

Install Windows Fix

Install Windows Support pack

Rebooted my machine

Tried with several different projects and get the same error message

I am running Windows 8 and PowerPoint 2010. 

Any advice?  I couldn't find where anyone else was getting this same error message.

3 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Tina and welcome to Heroes! 

It sounds like you may have different security settings for Powerpoint and Storyline. If PowerPoint and Storyline are not running with the same security privileges, you will not be able to import PowerPoint presentations into Storyline. For example, if you have configured the PowerPoint executable file to run as an administrator, you'll also need to configure the Storyline executable file to run as an administrator. For further troubleshooting on why Powerpoint may fail to import I'd suggest reviewing this article. 

To correct it, ensure that both applications are using the same permissions. To check Storyline:

1. Navigate to the following folder, depending on your version of Microsoft Windows:
    • 32-bit: C:\Program Files\Articulate\Articulate Storyline
    • 64-bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\Articulate\Articulate Storyline
  2. Right-click Storyline.exe, and choose Properties.
  3. Select the Compatibility tab.
  4. If the box is marked to Run this program as an administrator, make sure the same box is marked for the application you're recording. If it's unchecked, make sure it's also unchecked for the application you're recording.

If the issue persists after verifying that both applications are using the same security permissions, reboot your computer to resolve the conflict.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.