Interactive Combination Lock - IE vs Chrome Issue?

Jun 08, 2014

Hello All,

Just created an interactive 3-digit combination lock as a means of getting in a little practice with variables. It appears to work in IE but not 'completely' in Chrome. By that I mean that, if at first you don't succeed you are prompted for a hint. If you unsuccessfully attempt another combination, you are prompted for a second hint, different from the first, with the option for a final hint.

This works in IE but not in Chrome. In Chrome, I only get the first hint repeated over and over.

Any ideas what might be going wrong?

The combination can be changed easily by adjusting the triggers in the "Lock Pull" slide if you'd like to use your own combination.

Thanking you in advance for your advice,


6 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Pat,

Thanks for sharing your published output here. I did a test of it using Chrome and IE, and I saw in Chrome that I saw the same hint, and in IE I saw a second hint on my second attempt but after that I saw the same hint every attempt - so I'd like to take a look at your .story file to see how this is set up to show them the hint and what behavior you have enabled. 

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Thanks Pat for sharing the file. I couldn't see anything that would cause a different behavior in Chrome vs. IE but I did see that you were using the visited state of the button and that the slides were set to "automatically decide" on a revisit - which I generally prefer to use either reset or resume, so that I can control the behavior better. Also, the visited state occurs once a user clicks on a button - so instead, I thought it would work better with a variable. You'll see I've added a new variable that is adjusted based on the timeline of an object appearing on your layer - and then based on the value of that variable when the user clicks on the hint button it shows the second layer. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.