Interactive simulation in Storyline 360 of Mac screen recording - Is it possible?

Nov 10, 2017

Hi

I'm wondering if there have been any updates in Articulate 360 that allow a screen recording on a Mac (because the software is only for Mac and I want to demonstrate how to use it within my Storyline course) that you can then turn into an interactive simulation in Storyline? Since most of the software I use is Mac based, this feature  would be very useful. 

The only suggestion I have seen is to use Articulate to screen record the Mac screen recording and click along within the Storyline screen recording which will allow an interactive simulation. 

Has anyone had any luck turning a Mac screen recording into an interactive simulation in Storyline 360?

Thanks.

Linda

8 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi there Linda,

Although there isn't a built-in feature that would allow you to record on a Mac screen, the workaround you mentioned is the method I've seen most folks use. 

We're continuously exploring new features, and customer input is extremely valuable in that process. If you'd like to chime in with your feedback on this, please share your thoughts with us through a feature request!

Jim Naroski

Can I confirm that the proposed workaround is the following:

1. Record and save the screen recording on the MacBook as, for instance, an .mp4 file.

2. One that is created start a screen recording in Storyline, then play the .mp4 file and try and click in the right places in the video where a click took place in the original recording.

Any news on a more permanent solution?

Jim Naroski

@Michael, the VNC solution was exactly what I ended up using. I had issues getting it to work on my network at work, but finally resolved the issue. One drawback is that the hint captions captured are generic and performance can be an issue.

I have the same issue with capturing iOS and Android demos. iOS being the most problematic due to security. Seems like a tool called TeamViewer might get me what I need. Any thoughts on that?

Wish there was a better solution.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.