Is there a way to use Storyline 360 on a Mac?

Feb 23, 2018

I'm new to Articulate360. I love the platform but I'm realizing that there's some amazing stuff that can only be created in Storyline. But I don't have Windows. Is there a way to use Storyline on an Apple computer? Or a way to use it online as Rise?

Thanks for your support!

96 Replies
Paul Schneider

Don't mean to step on anyone's toes, but you know you could always vote with your feet, if you want to use your Mac there are also other products out there. The reality is if you are a desktop software solution, it makes more sense to put your money and efforts into Windows.  For folks who use Macs, you know that using Windows on your Mac is less than ideal and for you using a non Windows product will probably provide you with a better overall experience. Just kind of the reality of things. 

Philip Roy

Well I was fine with the first sentence, but I disagree with some of the rest...but I don't want to make this a Mac vs Windows thing. In terms of your comment re voting with your feet, I have voted. The only reason I am using Articulate is that I am currently contracted to an organisation that uses PCs and a have a team license. I have made no purchase and unfortunately won't be considering Storyline myself, given that I am a Mac user at home for contracting. Once my current contract ends I will most likely stop using Storyline....which is a shame.

Carolynn Carriger

Is there somewhere we can vote for this to be available for a Mac? My colleague and I inherited Articulate from another team (which mostly used Macs) so we're already committed but not in a good place to have to figure out extra workarounds like the ones recommended. It's really frustrating when you're working against a deadline. I kind of wish Articulate would say they are going to release it for Mac use or they aren't so we at least know how to best approach this.

But if this is the only place to indicate interest, then please upvote this!

Chris Wirick

Articulate was developing a Mac version of Storyline but then scrapped the project without much of an explanation ("difficult decision, blah, blah"). Extremely frustrating to be sure, as many of us had been waiting YEARS for this to happen - and had finally thought that it would. Running Storyline in Windows via Parallels is clunky and dumb, but more importantly, can result in catastrophic data loss and corrupted files that will make you look stupid to clients and create many hours of unbillable rework (ask me how I know). I've not used Storyline since.

The good news is Adobe makes a native Captivate application for Mac. The bad news is it's one of the worst "Mac" applications I've ever used. I think it must have been authored in some weird cross-platform programming environment because it's neither Windows-like nor Mac-like. Adobe still hasn't figured out how to make it run smoothly on a Mac Retina display (first introduced in 2012!!!) and can only advise that you run it in "low-resolution mode." What???

The entire Captivate development team is based in India, so support is tricky. And their online community stinks. Captivate may be from Adobe, but Adobe doesn't treat it like it's from Adobe. It's like the orphaned nephew forced to live in a cubby under the stairs.

Also, Captivate is functionally powerful but extremely unintuitive.

While every other industry seems to finally have compelling applications for both Windows and Mac, the eLearning development industry is still stuck in the previous couple of decades (the Computing Dark Ages) where it was Windows or nothing. :(

Philip Roy

Apologies, I have absolutely no  idea how I ended up on the wrong site...I think Google tricked me? That said, as far as I can see, DominKnow appears to be a web-based authoring tool?

https://community.dominknow.com/showPackage/dominKnow---ONE-System-Requirements-372a3016

There are plenty of web-based tools out there. This discussion is about a desktop app (happy to be corrected if I am wrong) and I have worked in secure environments with no outside internet connection allowed (only internal intranet) so a web-based tool would be of little use.

Paul Schneider

re: Wrong site - I think I know how - iSpring actually pays Google to get keyword searches of other products - so their "ad" comes up when you search for another tool. Shameful that Google supports this.

re: Web based vs Desktop.  Yes it is a web based tool - though to enable software simulation it uses a desktop hybrid that DOES support Mac and Windows. 

That being said I don't recall people clamoring for desktop solution per se. I think for MOST people they just want the power and flexibility and if it is desktop or cloud it really doesn't matter as long as the features and capabilities are there. In the past that often was not the case. Now, often far from it. However I could be wrong!

As for those completely secure environments, yup that can be a problem, but having worked in the industry for many many years, those are relatively rare these days (Though funny (or maybe not) aside - plenty of L&D professionals are led to believe they can't use cloud in some orgs even though sales and marketing are using cloud tools).  Also, some cloud systems can be installed behind the firewall for the ultra locked down situation that have zero internet access. In addition many government entities in that situation have approved cloud based locked down environments too.

Philip Roy

Not trying to keep disagreeing with you, but secure environments aren't rare...it depends on who you have been working for. In some instances the organisations I have worked in, there was effectively no such thing as a firewall as nothing was connected to the outside world....at all.

Those organisations had desktop software (and yes, installed often by someone visiting you with admin rights to a secure installer located on the same network) and then you were cut off from the outside world...you didn't even know when updates were released.

But that's going away from topic...so back to it...the only reason I am using Storyline is because the organisation I am currently contracting for uses it, with their Windows environment. I won't be considering it (or a web-based alternative) for myself, until there's a Mac version...which I know is unlikely.

Paul Schneider

Right, of course you are meaning a secure environment = completely locked down no internet access. Interesting, as your experience is the exact opposite of mine. In working with commercial entities (and many many) I've not seen any cases where cloud wasn't permitted in the last few years, and for ones that it was restricted before, they have switched to cloud.  Most of them are already using things like salesforce.com.  In the government space its a bit different, but I'm sure that there are other niches were they are completly locked down.

re: Using Storyline - yup unfortunately you have no choice. :-(

Kimberly Keesler

Hi! I use your software at work which is great, but I recently found out that I cannot work from home using Storyline because you don’t make a version for Mac users! Also I had to pass up an opportunity to make over 600$/ week on an elearning gig because I only have a Mac computer at home to work on! I REALLY wish you would make a Mac-version of storyline. And yes, I already know that I can use Rise on my Mac. That’s great, but it would be awesome if I could download all the apps and use them on my Mac computer at home. It’s so disappointing. I chose your software over Adobe Captivate and now I am questioning that decision. And no- I do not want to partition the hard drive on my very expensive Mac!