Issues importing captions into Storyline 360

Oct 15, 2019

I'm helping a co-worker with an issue she has run into with Storyline 360. If I build a simple Storyline project where I add a long video to a slide with accompanying captions, I'm not able to publish the project. Not only can I not publish the project, I can't do a preview publish or test in the slide view by pushing the space button. Every time I try, I immediately get the standard Storyline crashed GUI. If I remove the captions, then everything behaves normally. I run into the issue whether I import the captions from a file or if I copy and past the captions from the file into the caption editor. So, I'm not sure how to fix the issue. Do you have any recommendations?

10 Replies
Katie Riggio

Hi there, Andy. So sorry that's happening! 

I see the same thing when testing your file in Storyline 360, Update 32. I've opened a support case for us to have a thorough look at what's happening in the file. Look out for an email from support@articulate.com; and since you have Articulate 360 Teams, you'll get priority support!

Jennifer Dixey

FWIW I am seeing the same thing, only with Storyline 3 rather than Storyline 360. If I export and then remove the captions, the SCORM will publish normally. If I then re-import the captions that I exported, and attempt to publish, it will crash after creating an incomplete set of SCORM files with a Temp folder in it. 

Andy Wood

Just to give everyone an update...Articulate Support identified an issue that they are working to address. Although there isn't a maximum size for the videos you import, long caption files can result in an error. It's difficult to say what the maximum length is. In my example, we had inserted a long video (~45 min) and the caption file failed when it was longer than about ~25 minutes worth of text.

In the absence of the software fix, you can always break up the video into multiple segments and load them on different slides.

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Andy,

It looks like we need to share another update with you :)

We just released another update for Articulate 360, and included a few important fixes that you'll see in the release notes here

The item you'll be interested in is:

In some cases, a course wouldn't preview or publish when it had videos with closed captions.

Just launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer and click the Update button for Storyline 360. Details here.

Please let us know if you have any questions, either here or by reaching out to our Support Engineers directly.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.