Issues with Moodle, Completion Settings, and SCORM 1.2/2004

Oct 06, 2017

Hello heroes,

I'm running into an issue with my SCORM packages properly communicating with my Moodle LMS and was hoping someone would have some insight.

Context: I have an activity that requires an 80% grade to pass. Users should only get one attempt to go through the activity in its entirety.

When I publish to SCORM 2004, the activity works as it should:

• The learner can open the activity multiple times before landing on the Results page. The LMS only counts it as their attempt once they have landed on the Results page. 
  • The grade in the gradebook updates as the students make their way through the activity (For example: if they leave the activity after the first question, the gradebook marks their grade as 20% and an incomplete. If they exit after the second question, the gradebook marks their grade as 40% and an incomplete, etc.)

When I publish to SCORM 1.2, the activity does not work as it should:

• After opening the activity once, the LMS counts as this as their attempt. The grade achieved during the first "open" is the one applied to the whole activity. It still allows us to re-open the activity and land on the question where I left off, however, any subsequent correct answers did not affect the final grade. (For example: if they leave the activity after the first question, the gradebook marks their grade as 20% and an incomplete. If they exit after the second question, their grade in the gradebook remains a 20%.)

Our LMS provider ran an API log for both the 2004 and 1.2 packages, which I've attached. It looks like when I publish to SCORM 1.2, the SCORM package does not report a completed status to Moodle. When I publish to 2004, it does.

Our LMS provider has advised me that 2004 is not supported by them and we have the possibility of running into errors with the SCORM package in the future (aka it spontaneously breaking), so we are hoping to find a solution somewhere.

I've also attached my publishing settings for the activity. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.  

3 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Shneay,

I'm really glad you reached out, and thanks for those details! When a course behaves unexpectedly in a learning management system, often the first thing I recommend is to test it in another LMS environment. This will tell us whether the problem lies in the project file or in the LMS.

SCORM Cloud is is really handy for this kind of testing. It's industry standard, easy to use, and free! 

Let's test your SCORM 1.2 output there to see what happens. If you'd like some help with that testing, attach your file in a new thread comment. I'd be happy to help!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.