Method 'Title' not supported by automation object

Of the 12 lessons I've created, half are reporting this error when I open the executable files. When I open the project in Storyline 2 and publish, I get the exact same error upon trying to view the compiled project. I have no idea how to fix this. 

12 Replies
Christie Pollick

Hi, Virginia - Sorry to hear of the issues you are experiencing, and I can't say I have seen that particular error message before. There are a few troubleshooting steps we can try first to rule out the causes of some common problems. 

Please make sure you are working locally as described here, and you may want to try importing the file into a new file. If you are still having issues, you might want to try to repair Storyline. Also, could you please ensure that you are utilizing the most recent SL2 Update? Info on the latest update can be found here

If issues persist, you are welcome to share your file so we can take a closer look for you. Please use the ADD ATTACHMENT button in the bottom left corner of the reply box in the thread, and you can browse for the file from there. Please also note that if you reply via email, your attachment will not appear here in the thread.

Virginia Driscoll

Thanks, Christie. I have learned over the last year that it should be saved locally and only do that. 

As this is part of an active research project, I have submitted a support ticket and sent a copy of one of the .story files. I am hoping this can be solved quickly so that my participant can complete her part of the study and we don't lose a (very expensive) datum point.

Doug Rice

I just stumbled upon this bug today. I was getting "Method 'Title' not supported by automation object" for all courses I published to CD format. Then I discovered that the loader.ini file in each of these courses was empty. I copied the contents of a loader.ini file from another course that had the same dimensions and now everything is working fine.

I have no idea why Storyline 3 would suddenly not be able to create loader.ini files but, in my case at least, this seems to be the fix.

Ashley Terwilliger

Hi Doug,

I took a look at some of the older cases here and noted that the times our team has run into this, it was almost always due to file corruption while publishing. I'd suggest taking a look at the steps outlined here to prevent corruption going forward. 

If you're following along with those and still running into this trouble, can you share one of your files and more details about your environment with our Support Team directly? They'll work with you one on one to troubleshoot next steps!  

Doug Rice

Thanks, Ashley. It doesn't seem to matter if I publish to a local folder or to Onedrive (things have gotten a bit more challenging since my company started using Onedrive). However, I just noticed that I can publish the English version of this course with no problems. However, when I publish a translated version, the loader.ini file is empty.

I probably can't share the story file with you but I'll look into the resource you provided and see if anything helps. I'll post here if I find any solutions.

Doug Rice

I did a little more investigating today. The problem seems to be that, in my translated story files, the course titles had non-standard characters (e.g., Cyrillic) in them. Replacing the title with English characters before publishing to CD solved the problem. It's interesting that the only file that failed during the publish was loader.ini. All of the other files seemed to be just fine.

Anyway, it's good to have a fix for this, at least for my case. Hope this helps someone else.