New in Storyline 360: 64-bit App (Beta)

Nov 28, 2023

Creating media-rich and other complex projects in Storyline 360 just got better. Thanks to the 64-bit app, now available in beta, you'll enjoy faster authoring and increased stability no matter what you've got in the works.

So, how can you access this version of Storyline 360? Simply update your Articulate 360 desktop app, then click the Install button next to the Storyline 360 app with the 64-bit and beta labels. That's it!

64-bit Storyline

Excited to check this feature out? Articulate 360 subscribers can access 64-bit Storyline 360 right away. And if you want to try this highly-requested feature but don't have Articulate 360, just start a free 30-day trial. For more details about 64-bit Storyline 360, check out this article: Storyline 360: 64-bit App.

This feature is currently in beta—meaning it's still a work in progress. We'll continue to refine it, using your feedback as guidance. Comment below to share your experience using 64-bit Storyline 360. We'd love to hear from you!

93 Replies
Steven Benassi

Hi Jo!

I'm sorry to hear that Storyline has been crashing for you!

I see that your support case is being handled by my colleague John Carlo. It looks like John Carlo replied to your e-mail on Tuesday, the 9th. Is there a chance the e-mail was diverted to a SPAM folder?

I've updated your case with the feedback you shared, so John Carlo can be notified. He should be getting in touch with you again, shortly.

Thank you for your patience. Sorry if this has been slowing you down!

Steven Benassi

Hi Sharon!

Happy to help with this!

What you are experiencing is expected behavior. Currently, the screen recording feature is not available in 64-bit Storyline 360. However, it is in development!

As a workaround, I would suggest authoring in 32-bit Storyline 360 to create or edit your screen recordings.

I've linked this discussion to the feature report being tracked, so you can be notified as soon as we have updates to share.

Jackie Bowman

When i start a project in the original SL and save and close the file. The next day I  open the previously saved file to continue working, it opens the 64 bit version where and I can no longer record screens. Is there a way to save and open the file without it being beta testing version that doesn't have all the features i need?

Jose Tansengco

Hello Jackie,

It sounds like you've set your Storyline 360 project to open using the 64-bit version by default where screen recording is not yet available. Here's how to change it back to the 32-bit version: 

1. Right-click on any Storyline 360 project file, click on 'Show more options', and choose properties. Click on 'Change' to the right of the 'Opens with:' option. 
  2. Scroll down until you find the 'Choose an app on your PC' option.
  3. Navigate to this folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Articulate\360\Storyline
  4. Select this icon, and then click on 'Set default'
  5. Click on 'Ok' in the properties window.

The next time you open a Storyline 360 project file, you should now see the 32-bit version initializing.

Let me know if this works for you!

Jim Powell

So the tens of thousands of dollars I spent over the last decade buying new hardware to try and speed up the articulate products was to no avail.  I bought new laptops, GPUs, and as much memory as I could buy, then finally just resigned myself to the agonizing process of publishing files using articulate.  The past couple years I just bought a top-of-the line X1 Carbon so I could carry everything with me (because maybe some of you don't know this but articulate programs don't play well in a networked environment (i.e., dropbox, etc) so I got the best laptop  I could.

So now I unexpectedly get 64 bit before Christmas, and it works great -- reduces the time to publish by 60 to 90%.

So now that it's 64 bit will my going out any buying a high-power desktop computer with 128 Gb of RAM -- now will that make the difference and get it even faster?  doing that with a 32 bit system didn't do much.

Of course now if I store my .story files on my desktop then I have to transfer them to the laptop when I travel, but it might be worth it.  Will extra hardware make a big difference with the 64 bit version?  My laptop has 32 Gb of RAM I want to get a 128 Gb desktop if it'll help.

Jose Tansengco

Hello Peter,

While we don't have an exact date on when the 64-bit version of Storyline 360 will move out of Beta, we plan to add screen recording functionality to 64-bit next month at which point it will be feature complete, meaning it will have the same features as its 32-bit counterpart.

Further releases beyond that will mostly include further stabilization and the mechanics of making it generally available.

Phil Mayor

The 32bit uses the GPU so presume the 64bit does as well
This is a confidential email. Tesco may monitor and record all emails. The views expressed in this email are those of the sender and not Tesco. Tesco Stores Limited Company Number: 519500 Registered in England Registered Office: Tesco House, Shire Park, Kestrel Way, Welwyn Garden City, AL7 1GA VAT Registration Number: GB 220 4302 31