New in Storyline 360: Check out the New Modern Player in Storyline 360

Jun 19, 2018

Hey folks! Recently we released a beautiful new modern player for Articulate Storyline 360. The player is the frame around your slides and it can include features like navigation buttons, the course menu, resources, a glossary, and more. The new modern player is sleek and beautiful, and best of all, it gives your learners the same experience across all devices.

The modern player scales to fill a learner’s browser on every device and the player controls melt into the background to maximize screen real estate. This makes sure your content is always the star of the show.

The modern player is available in a light or dark color theme, with the option to pick a custom accent color. You can also adjust the font and the navigation button styles—and you can choose to display or hide menus and controls just like you could with the classic player.

Watch the quick video below for an overview, then follow along with this helpful tutorial to start working with the modern player in Storyline 360.

49 Replies
Trina Rimmer

Hi Lea. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on additional customization options you'd like to see in the new modern player. Our dev team loves to hear from customers directly, so if you have a moment, please consider completing a feature request detailing what enhancements you'd like to see and how they'll help you:   https://articulate.com/support/contact/feature-request

Regarding the loading experience with the player, it seems that a recent update has addressed this behavior so you'll want to make sure you've got all of your Articulate 360 updates installed. 

Sarah Bennett

Phillipe, popular e-readers like the Kindle have the option to read black text on a white background or white text on a black background. Windows also has the option to have a light or dark frame on Windows10. At the end of the day this is nothing new and since the frame only applies to the area outside the main window then it is for minimal reading content anyway. I really like the look of it and it does look modern and in line with current sites like Amazon - white main page with black frame. I suggest you do some research. It is an OPTION at the end of the day. I really like it so each to their own.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Emmanuel,

I appreciate your honesty and I know our team is looking into what other changes or improvements folks would like to see in the modern player. This discussion is included in that feature request regarding more options to change the colors of the player, so we'll let folks know here as soon as we have more information to share.

Colleen Liley

With the new Modern Player, I don't get the HTML5 play button on the opening screen of iOS devices IF the course does not contain audio or video. However, if the course contains audio or video ANYWHERE in the course, the play button appears on the opening screen.

We don't use any audio or video on our opening screens so this click is unnecessary. This also causes opposing user experiences within a collection of courses - some will have this play button and some will not. I understand this button can be necessary if there is autoplay video since iOS blocks autoplay. But if there isn't any autoplay its just added clicks.

Can the Modern Player be modified to only use the play button when needed?. The Modern Player's javascript must be testing for media somewhere, any ideas where? I'd really like that button to go away!

Capstone  ITS

For me, typography and writing style are very important. I never use white text on a dark background for large blocks of text. That said, a menu is not really "reading," but more skimming and scanning. Also, if your course background is light, a dark player can help your learners to focus attention on the content i.e. the content doesn't bleed into the player. The two are segregated by the higher contrast. 

Josh Barretto

It looks good but I'm also facing problems in terms of my client. They're not going for the modern player as I cant adjust the colour scheme.

My client uses tablets for a good portion of their WBT and the classic player doesn't allow the learner to fast-forward or rewind videos unless they flip the tablet into portrait mode. This has been fixed with the modern player but again, until I can adjust the colour scheme my client won't go for it.

Will we be able to adjust the colour scheme of the modern player soon and/or will the video progress bar be available on a tablet in landscape orientation at some point?

Hi Josh,

Our team is tracking requests for changes to colors in the modern player - and we'll keep you posted on that here as we have more information to share.

It would be helpful to know if there are particular items or areas you're looking to color. With the classic player you could change the colors for just about everything, which was a bit much for folks and a lot of effort to make changes. With the modern player the interface has less of the focus and screen real estate, so the colors you can change are limited to the accent color to correspond with your dark/light theme. 

Hi Siegfried,

With the modern player you can have the sidebar appear on the right or left, and any topbar tabs are always on the side of the player opposite the sidebar. You can read a bit more about the display setup here and options to customize. 

Let me know if you need anything else! 

Daniel Nyakana

Yes we definitely need more flexibility for player customization. I am not sure why it launched with only two options when the old school player has the ability to customize so many parts of it.

I think and hope someone weighed this point and said ok let's launch it with only two options and build more later. Would love to know the logic behind this move. Nonetheless there is an audience/large user group actively using this product so I do get the value of at least getting it started. 

Daniel

Ross Murray

Hi, I like the modern player, think it looks good. Is there any plans to release this for Storyline 3? 

What I tend to do for the majority of my clients is entirely disable all the player functions and design a bespoke container using the slide masters, triggers and buttons. This allows the most control over design and layout. This has always worked well for us and is my preferred way of working. I'd recommend this to people looking for maximum control over design.