NEW IN STORYLINE 360: Slide Numbers

May 07, 2019

We’re excited to share a powerful new feature in Storyline 360: slide numbers.

Now you can add slide numbers to your Storyline 360 project to show learners their progress through a course. Storyline 360 will automatically calculate how far learners have left in your course. And you can quickly exclude slides if you don’t want them counted toward the total.

Here’s how slide numbers work:

Enjoy!

113 Replies
Will Findlay

I love this new feature! One caveat - "slide number in project" doe not appear to work currently for slides in question banks. I guess that makes sense since it isn't exactly in the project, but it would be nice to be able to use this when you want the slide numbers to reflect the overall number of slides, e.g. if you have a quiz at the end of a presentation that is 20 slides long, and you want the first question to show that it is slide #21.

Based on Alyssa's video though you can use Slide number in Scene.

Adam Kenworthy

Will,

Following Alyssa's video the slide numbers in scene being added to each question in the QB worked perfectly. The numbers correctly increased and decreased dependant on the user moving forward or back through the questions, and they worked perfectly during the review quiz from the result slide.

If I have understood you correctly if you added the question bank within your project scene and the slide number in the scene is added I cant see why the question numbers would not continue on in sequence from the pre quiz slides in that scene.

Hope I made sense there, does in my head anyway.

Soren J Birch

the 3.27.18822.0 build suffers from very slow preview animation playback to the point of it being useless.

I am forced to revert back to 3.26.18601.0, where preview animations are smooth as usual.

To reproduce, open the story file, preview and notice how animations are very jerky when playing back. It does not affect final output.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Soren,

I took a look at your file and recorded a quick screencast video with Peek 360 (approx. 1:30 minutes) to showcase what I'm seeing. The animations look to playback at about the same speed in Publish, Timeline Preview, and the individual Slide preview. Do you spot the same issues in my video?  If so, can you point out where exactly? 

Al Lauer

How would one reference a Built-In variable value inside an Email: link on the trigger wizard for a custom player tab? 

I want to have the blank in the following email address replaced with the value of the built-in Menu.SlideNumber or Menu.SlideTitle variable.

someone@company.com?subject=Issue with Bridgestone Tire course&body=I found an issue on page ____ of the course %0D%0A %0D%0A(Please describe the issue as clearly as possible.) %0D%0A

Soren J Birch

Today a new version of Storyline 360 was released and I notice that the preview feature now uses HTML5. I immediately tried a preview of my troubled project, and unfortunately it is the same for the CTRL+F12 preview, but the Timeline preview is smooth.

Hi Soren,

You're right - we are moving along in our progress to remove Flash from all elements of Storyline 360 and in the latest update you'll see an HTML5 preview of your slide when you click the play button in the timeline panel. Timeline previews no longer rely on Flash. We'll keep folks posted as we continue to remove Flash from other areas! 

Robert Stewart

We use both Storyline 3 and 360 - happen to know the release date for page numbers in Stroyline 3 ? Since we cannot open 360 files in 3 that use page numbers.

Secondly: would be nice not to have a drop down menu when selecting what type of page number (drop down requires an extra step, have it open and static) or at least remember the last 3 the designer used to replace your pre-built 3 we do not need.

We've had Storyline since version 1 - took you a little time to figure out courses require page numbers.

Soren J Birch

Can  I add slide numbers to the Menu or the player? I'd like the slide number total to be part of the player, rather than the course itself. I tried creating a menu item and calling it %Menu.Progress% as variavble but that didn't convert into a slide number, I simply see %Menu.Progress% in the top menu now.

Hi Robert,

There aren't plans at this time to add page numbers to Storyline 3. The future updates of Storyline 3 will focus on bug fixes and will also bring compatibility back to files from Storyline 360. You'll see this article notes which features exist in Storyline 360 and can still be opened in Storyline 3.