Next Button not appearing

Apr 29, 2016

Hi Hero's - hopefully someone can assist me. I seem to experiencing a bug on the functionality of a "Next" button state. The way I've set up my training is one Scene offers the learner to select a button based on their role in the company, this then takes them to a new slide the outlines the type of training. I've set the state of the "next" button to be hidden when the created two buttons to choose from the timeline starts, and to be normal when the learner has visited both buttons. Initially this works well, however if I click previous on the slide and view the previous scene and go back into the slide it will not show the "next" button and the course can not continue even though the two buttons are in a state of being visited. Does anyone know what I can do to correct this?

51 Replies
Doug Dewan

Thanks Wendy! You are my Hero.....This seems to have resolved the problem - one little thing that still persists is if you select a role like Operations Manager for example, then click on both Internal/External buttons then select PREV then select Operations Manager again and then select PREV again the state returns to normal....a small issue and likely no one would ever do that but just wanted to share that little bug.

Wendy Farmer

Hi Doug

here you go. I have created a custom state called 'completed' and added to the Ops Mgr button only (yes purple is my favourite colour- lol). I have also added a trigger to change the state to completed when timeline starts on the menu slide on condition that hub_visits is > 1.

Hope this helps

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi all,

Thanks for your patience as we investigate the issue associated with the next button not being normal/accessible on a revisit to a slide where you had initially set it to hidden at the start of the slide.  It’s been determined that this behavior is as expected based on what the triggers are telling Storyline, although it may not match what you wanted to occur.

Since the previous/next buttons are set to be hidden at the start of the slide via triggers, when returning to the slide the command given to Storyline is to hide the buttons as soon as the slide starts. The slide is resuming the saved state of the previous/next buttons as expected, but then the triggers tell Storyline to hide them as soon as the slide loads.

This is where applying the conditions to those initial triggers will come into play - as you’ll want to adjust the next/previous buttons to “hidden” only if the user has not visited this slide before. You’ll see this set up in the file I attached that has that trigger/condition set up associated with the state change of the next player button.

Please let us know if you have any other questions!

Tabatha Dimas

Can anyone tell me if the new SL3 version has addressed this? In SL1, If the NEXT button was disabled or hidden at the start of the timeline until required interactions were completed, and the slide was set to resume saved state, then when the learner returned to the slide the interactions were still set to completed and the NEXT button was active because that was the state at the end of the slide. But in SL2 that got changed so when a learner returned to the slide, the interactions showed complete but the NEXT button was once again disabled because the timeline restarted. Even though the trigger is Disable NEXT at beginning of timeline IF interactions are False.  Since the interactions are now true, the NEXT button should be active but it's not. I have had to jump through some ridiculous hoops to program variables and states to control the NEXT button outside of tying it to the timeline start to avoid this timeline reset to hidden/disabled.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Tabitha,

The information and example I shared about 9 months ago still holds true, but it sounds like you have applied a condition to the next button similar to my example and that's still not working for you? If so, we'd want to take a look at the .story file in question and I'd ask if you could share it with our Support Engineers using the form here. 

Let me know once you do and I'll follow along! 

Swissport Training

This is still an issue for me, I have managed to find a few workarounds, but I just wonder why the "resume saved state" doesn't work. Shouldn't that just recognised where the slide was when the learner left, and then remember if they happen to revisit? 

We need to ensure the learner has read/viewed/heard etc. the content on the slide before continuing. so literally every slide needs to have the next button hidden when they start it and then reveal it at the end for them to continue. But we also need the option for the user to click back through the slides in case they need to revisit something, or they missed something. 

It makes the work twice as much, if not more, to set this up to work, especially when I am trying to create a variance of different slides/experiences to keep the learners engaged e.g click to view more information, click to reveal pictures, click here to watch videos etc. 

"Reset slide works", but then if it is a heavy slide with videos/ interactions etc. it can add a lot of time to the module for the learner, and can also reduce the quality of the experience if they are forced to sit through content unnecessarily again. 

It also means a lot more design time from myself, including testing the module to ensure there are no hiccups with being able to go forward and backwards through the whole slide. Resume Saved State seems to work for everything but the next button.

Sorry if this just seems like i am rambling or complaining, it's just hard when you're looking for an answer and still having the same issue as a 5-year-old thread. 

Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, Adam, and welcome to E-Learning Heroes! ✨

Thank you for reaching out! 

It sounds like restricting the navigation would work for the scenario you described:

1. Go to the Home tab on the Storyline ribbon and click Player.
  2. Click Menu on the player properties ribbon, then click the gear icon at the bottom of the window for additional menu options.
  3. Use the Navigation Restrictions drop-down list to choose Restricted.
    • Restricted means learners can view the current slide and any slide they previously viewed, but they can't jump ahead or skip over slides.
  4. Mark the box to Restrict Next/Previous buttons. (It's marked by default.)
  5. Click OK twice to close the menu options and the player properties.

Let me know if this works!

Swissport Training

Hey Maria, thank you so much for getting back to me on this!

So I had been playing around with the restricted menu already, but I was unfamiliar with what the restrict Next/Previous buttons being checked would do, so I appreciate the information on that. I just turned it on and tested and it makes sense, makes it easier as far as it means I do not have to create a trigger on each slide that changes the next button to hidden or disabled which is a time saver. Thank you!

However, I notice there is still an issue - for example, I have a slide where you need to interact with all the markers on the screen before progressing. Once the user has done this they are promoted to click the next button, and the next button appears. Then after progressing to the following slide, if I then click back to go back to the previous slide, the next button is unclickable again, until I interact with the markers again (even though they still visually show as being visited and "resume saved state" is selected) 

I understand that you can use the menu to progress forward if you have already viewed the slide, but we can't rely on that as some of our learners aren't overly tech-savvy and won't figure that out, and throwing too many options to progress at them might be more confusing than helpful.

I also noticed that if I click back on a few slides, and then click forward again, there's something that seems to trigger the next button to appear for the latest slide, even though the content on that slide had not been selected or viewed. I thought this might've been a strange anomaly with just my module, but in created a small basic module to check this, I managed to replicate the same issue.

Please let me know if I am doing something wrong, it seems that by default the next button appears at the end of the slide timeline, which doesn't work for us when we need them to interact with the slide before continuing, but this seems to create issues.

Thank you for your time on this matter, I look forward to your response!

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Adam,

I appreciate you chiming in to share what you are still experiencing with your project file.

I want to take a look at your project file to investigate what's happening with your permission. You can share it publicly here or send it to me privately by uploading it here. I'll delete it when I'm done troubleshooting.