Not Enough Disk Space...but I have 732GB avail

Oct 22, 2014

This is SO SO frustrating. I am working on a SL2 project that is 262MB. When I try to save it, the program prompts me that, "Tthere is not enough space on disk", but I am saving it to a dive that has 732GB available...CRIKEY! Open your "eyes" SL2...there's so much space available, I could move my inlaws into there and still have room for a pool and tennis court!

Can someone please help with this..hopefully it's something very ismple, butit is extrememly puzzling and frustrating.

3 Replies
Emily Ruby

Hello Frank!

Are you running the most recent update toStoryline 2 (update 1)and still experiencing this problem?

If so, please try to make sure that you're working with local files.

• Work on your local drive (your C: drive). Working on a network drive or a USB drive can cause erratic behavior, including file corruption, loss of audio, and other unexpected behavior.
  • You should also make sure the directory path to your project files and your published output is less than 260 characters
  • Avoid using special characters, accents or symbols in your file names.

Additional information about this can be found in thisMicrosoft article.

Also, try to make sure that you're not running to may programs in the background.

Has this happened with any other files?

You can look into preforming arepairof Storyline.

Let us know if this helps.

Frank Pietrantoni

Hi Emily,

Thanks for your response. See my repsonses below in red:

Are you running the most recent update toStoryline 2 (update 1)and still experiencing this problem? Yep

If so, please try to make sure that you're working with local files.

• Work on your local drive (your C: drive). Working on a network drive or a USB drive can cause erratic behavior, including file corruption, loss of audio, and other unexpected behavior.I was working on files on my local (aka C) drive. In all actuality, Im surprised you recommend this. All the high end platforms I use for video/audio editing (i.e. Avid, Adobe, Sony) recommend using a non-local drive. In addition, our IT Department also recommends a network drive in that those drives are continually backed up nightly. I strongly recommend your team re-think that strategy. Most all large organizations/enterprises back up their network drivesNOT users' local drives.
  • You should also make sure the directory path to your project files and your published output is less than 260 characters Never are near this manyscares me to think users would even come close to this.
  • Avoid using special characters, accents or symbols in your file names. Dont ever do this eitheronly for passwords.

Additional information about this can be found in thisMicrosoft article. Yepbeen there seen/done this too.

Just so you know, I have been working with audio/video production & editing software for the past 12 years now. I continually work with large complex files/projects in other applications (i.e. ProTools, Premiere Pro, Captivate, After Effects, Vegas Pro) and dont experience the instability that I do with SL2. I will reinstall SL2 in hopes that this helps. It will be interesting to share my experiences at DEVLEARN next week to see if any other users have other fixes.

Thanks again.

Emily Ruby

Thanks for the update Frank!

We recommend working on local your Drive because working from a network drive can cause erratic behavior, such as inability to save changes. To avoid this we recommend to work locally, then after you save, you can place a copy of the file on a network drive for your system back up purposes. However, it is best to re open from that file, when needed, after you place it back in your local drive.

Of the few times I have seen this error, typically it is working on a network drive, or conducting the repair that resolves the issue, so we like to share all options to try and narrow down the issue!

Let us know if the repair works, and if you continue to get this error, you can always open a support case to have someone take a look at the file a little deeper.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.