"Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

Sep 19, 2022

Hi - I am getting this message when trying to save a Storyline file while importing the translation. Even facing a storyline error report while importing the translated files. 

From reading the few other conversations on the topic, I am not seeing anything that looks to promising for being able to get out of this without losing my most recent work. Everything related to the file is on the same local hard drive where the file resides, so it isn't a portable drive issue.

6 Replies
John Morgan

Hi Seema,

I'm so sorry you're getting this error! Potentially losing work is the worst!

Have you tried freeing up some resources on your computer by shutting down programs and processes that you are not using at the moment? You can also try copying and pasting your course into a new .story file and saving it there.

Also, check the translation files you're importing. Are there any special characters the importing process can get stuck on?

I hope these suggestions can help you avoid any lost work!

Thanks for reaching out!

SEEMA RAWAT

Hi John,

Whenever I am doing some minute changes in the file  without importing the translated XLF file, the course is getting saved.

But when I import the translation file (which is Korean), even I am not able to translate the file in one go, I need to import multiple times to get it translated to achieve 80%. The save is still there while importing the translation.  

Jose Tansengco

Hi Seema, 

If you are getting an error message when importing your translation file, this usually indicates the presence of either corrupted data in your project file, or invalid characters in your translation file. I went ahead and opened a support case on your behalf so our support team can take a look at your project file. Someone from our support team will be in touch with you shortly! 

Luciana Piazza

Hi Seema!

Thanks so much for checking in. It appears we have a case open with you and our colleague John Carlo. Great news!

If you could please upload your project file to this link we can take a closer look within your support case: https://www.articulate.com/support/upload/case?ref:_00D30Txo._5004y2641Vn:ref 

If you have any other questions, please let us know! We're happy to help you.

Have a great afternoon!