Problems with Mobile/HTML_5 Support

Apr 12, 2016

Hello there,

My team and I seem to be stumped with our current problem and have decided to see if anyone else has had this problem. 

In the past we've had issues developing courses for mobile where the webpage on mobile for our course would load forever and never successfully load. The spinning wheel never came through and left us all sad. This issue led to Articulate reaching out to us and helping us out. We learned that the story_html5 file produced when you publish is a mirror of the mobile file loaded when a student attempts to take a course on a mobile device. Knowing this allowed us to easily test whether or not our courses will work on mobile or not, simply by seeing if this file worked or not. 

The previous occurrence of this we tracked but to a player size issue from a fault on our end. However this issue is currently occurring again. This course was originally done by one developer on our team and then handed to another bilingual developer for a translated version. As of right now the English version loads on mobile but our new Spanish version fails to load on mobile. We have spoken with our LMS and confirmed everything is correct on their end, we have put the two courses side by side and have confirmed both have the same publish settings, and we have also confirmed it is not the previous player size issue we had the last time. We even went so far as to make a copy of our course and delete EVERYTHING in the course except the first landing page and republish with a SINGLE slide and still no luck. Currently the Spanish version gives us the spinning wheel of loading and never passes this state. We are unsure what to do at this point and were wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Any help on this would be great.


Thank you,


3 Replies
Alex Paulsen

We haven't attempted to use SCORM Cloud simply because our computers at work don't have SCORM Cloud. We are simply launching the HTML_5 file from the packaged publish folder and it gives us the same error as if we were to upload the course to our LMS. We have a staging LMS where we can test over and over again, and previous versions of the course have worked and the english version works. We think at this point the file is somehow corrupted but we're not sure what else to do. 

We were told that attempting to launch the HTML_5 file emulates a mobile player and we can use that as a benchmark to see if our mobile devices will load the course.

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Alex!

It's a website and is free to test courses up to 100mb in size.

If you view an Articulate Storyline course on your local hard drive (or send it to someone else to view on their local hard drive), you'll encounter security restrictions from the computer, web browser, Flash Player, and network that'll cause various features to fail. To properly test your published content and share it with others, upload it to the environment for which it was published. 

We also advise sharing the story.html file with users. Here’s how Storyline determines which version of your content to display when learners view it.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.