Publish as Video Feature not Working in Storyline 360.

Feb 08, 2018

I've tried many attempts to publish my Storyline 360 file as a video. I was extremely excited about this new feature,but it's not working properly. It either takes hours to publish and I end up getting an error message saying the file is too large (I don't think a 15 page course is very large), or it creates a five second video that is nothing but a blank screen. 

I made sure to select 'the entire course' for my publish options. Why is this feature not working?

Thanks,

Cassandra 

59 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi everyone! Really sorry to hear you're running into issues with the new Publish to a Video File feature. 

Michelle and Lee -- I see you both have already shared your files with our Support Engineers. Thank you for doing that, you're one step ahead of me! Our team will take a look and reach out as soon as they've tested your file. 

Cassandra -- would you mind also sharing your unpublished Storyline file with us by clicking here? We'll give it a test and let you know what we find. Thank you!

Alyssa Gomez

Good morning everyone,

Just checking in on your cases, and I see that Renato recently reached out to Michelle. Lee, you should hear from someone soon.

We've done further testing on this problem, and we've found that there's a bug in Storyline 360 where "Publish to a Video File" will not work correctly if your content contains step-by-step screen recording slides. 

This bug is a major priority for us, as we realize that many of our customers need to use step-by-step screen recording slides in their projects. Rest assured that our team is heads-down working on a fix as we speak. 

I'll keep you updated on any new information I receive on this bug. Thanks for sticking with us as we work through this, and I'm really sorry that it's slowing you down.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi everyone! I'm excited to let you know that we just released update 13 for Storyline 360! It includes new features and fixes - check them all out here.

One of the fixes addresses an issue where publishing to a video file would fail if the project contained step-by-step slides.

Here’s how you can update Storyline 360 to take advantage of everything the latest release has to offer. Let me know how you make out!

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Jennie!  Let's look at a couple of things:

• Can you confirm what version of Storyline you’re using?  Go to Help > About Storyline.  The latest build is 3.13.15006.0.
  • When you publish, the video option should be the third tab down on the left.  Can you attach a screenshot of what you see in that window?

Happy to help!

Sindy Chettiath

Hi there!  Was hoping to publish to video and it is taking forever to publish.  Are there any restrictions on what can be published to videos?  It just is taking way too long. 

Basically it is a software demo that we were hoping to publish to a video file and insert in a PPT presentation for an instructor led training session.  It seems it is not working out as I had hoped. 

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Sindy,

Do you have a lot of audio clips in your course? I know our team is looking into an issue where the publish to video fails with a course that has upwards of 30 audio clips. If that sounds like what you're running into here are some suggestions to help, while our team continues to investigate:

• If there are multiple audio tracks on the same slide, you might be able to combine them into a single audio track using the built-in audio editor. 

• If you used mouse cursor objects in step-by-step screen recordings, turn off the click sounds for cursor objects. Each click sound counts as an audio clip. 

• Consider splitting the project into smaller modules and publishing a series of videos. 

Let me know if you think you're hitting something else, and I'll be happy to take a look at your .story file! 

Sindy Chettiath

Awesome! Thank you so much. Another question, if I recorded a simulation and did not select the mute option will this also impact the time it takes to convert to a video? Is there a way to remove the sound? When i go to edit the screencast video, I can hear the low volume background noise.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Sindy,

If you're inserting as a video on a single slide, look at the options here to edit out the audio or change the volume. 

Inserting a screen recording into step-by-step slides should remove all the audio on each slide, with the exception of the mouse clicks. 

If you're feeling stuck still, I'm happy to take a look and test it out. Can you share a copy of your .story file here with me? 

Alyssa Gomez

Hey there Red! I can try and help you sort this out.

First, are you on the latest update of Storyline 360? To check, click the Help tab, then click About Storyline. You should see 3.18.16333.0 in the bottom-right corner. 

If you're already on the latest update and you're still getting stuck, would you mind sharing your file with our team here?

Janis Goodheim

I have an issue with inserting a talking head video into a SL 360 course. It looks great in Articulate Review, but when published as an mp4, the words no longer sync with the talking head and it looks like you're watching a foreign movie with English translation. BTW: the published mp4 will shown on a 40" TV/monitor. (Publish settings are attached.)

Need help!

Alyssa Gomez

Hi there Janis,

We've seen some trouble in Storyline 360 where audio goes out of sync with the video if the slide has a transition -- does your slide have a transition applied to it?

If you don't mind sharing a copy of your file with us here, we'll verify whether that bug is affecting your file, or if something else is causing the issue. Thanks!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.