Quiz Results

Feb 03, 2014

Hello SL Forum!

Is there a way to create a quiz in Storyline, publish it to an LMS, and be able to see detailed quiz results for each learner in the LMS?  Or will the LMS only show the percentage score without letting you look at the answers to the individual questions?

In the past our company has used the quiz feature in the LMS which breaks it down by question.  We would like to know if we can do that with Storyline as well.

Thank you!

Dina

7 Replies
Dennis Hall

Hi Dina:

Many LMS systems do not have the infrastructure built into them to report quiz details.

The data collected by an LMS from external development products (such as Storyline) will send the LMS SCORM, AICC, or TinCan compliant information. When you create questions in your LCMS, that content will be stored in a database and referenced in the reports you describe.

What needs to happen is the question information Storyline is sending needs to be stored in the LMS database as well.

Have a programmer look at what is being stored in the database of your LMS (if any).

What is the data (question statements / answers / question identifiers)?

Where is it stored (what DB table(s)?

and in what format is it being stored (encrypted / clear text)?

Once you know this information you will be able to have a programmer create reports to retrieve this data.

If you provide information (Brand name / version / e-learning support standard - SCORM (1.2, 2004, Edition of), AICC, TinCan) about your LMS maybe we can be of help.

You will most likely need to address LMS data collection and reporting with your LMS programmer / vendor.

Best Regards,

Dennis Hall

Dominique D

Dennis Hall said:

Hi Dina:

Many LMS systems do not have the infrastructure built into them to report quiz details.

The data collected by an LMS from external development products (such as Storyline) will send the LMS SCORM, AICC, or TinCan compliant information. When you create questions in your LCMS, that content will be stored in a database and referenced in the reports you describe.

What needs to happen is the question information Storyline is sending needs to be stored in the LMS database as well.

Have a programmer look at what is being stored in the database of your LMS (if any).

What is the data (question statements / answers / question identifiers)?

Where is it stored (what DB table(s)?

and in what format is it being stored (encrypted / clear text)?

Once you know this information you will be able to have a programmer create reports to retrieve this data.

If you provide information (Brand name / version / e-learning support standard - SCORM (1.2, 2004, Edition of), AICC, TinCan) about your LMS maybe we can be of help.

You will most likely need to address LMS data collection and reporting with your LMS programmer / vendor.

Best Regards,

Dennis Hall

Hi Dennis,

That's right "Many LMS systems do not have the infrastructure built into them to report quiz details.". But a lot or even most of them display or allow to export the "raw" data to excel or whatever.

Would you know off any LMS that would present this data in a more readable format. 

I have made a lot for research in the forums and asked the question a couple of time but didn't have a clear answer yet.

As a développer myself, I understand your point. But as a user I wonder how instructors can use an LMS without this feature which in my opinion is mandatory. On top of that all companies using an LMS do not have development departments.

If I had the time I would happily write this kind of module (and maybe make a lot of money with it ).

Have a nice day,

Dom

Dominique D

Ashley Terwilliger said:

Hi Dominique,

A few LMSs that we typically recommend are:

*  Dokeos:  http://campus.dokeos.com/

*  eFront:  http://www.efrontlearning.net/open-source

*  Moodle:  http://moodle.org/

Although any LMS that is compliant with SCORM, AICC, or Tin Can API should also provide accurate tracking capabilities. 

Hi Ashley,

Thanks again for your answer.

However, my issue with several LMS's is that they do report individual question answers but it is the raw data. I mean it is not displayed in a user friendlily format. 

A lot of people here mention Docebo which I am also using and is a very nice products. I would really like to be able to share about this issue with one of the Docebo users in the community.

Have a nice day

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.