Recover/Open Recent Story.file [SL360]

Jun 12, 2019

Attn: SL Support Team or Anyone who have experienced this and can offer a solution.

I'm trying to open a working file from yesterday and the file can't be accessed. I got a message: 'This project is invalid or corrupt and cannot be opened. It may have been created in an earlier version of Storyline"

Need guidance, pls help!

Iris

7 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hello Iris,

Thanks for reaching out and letting us know that you ran into an issue with opening your file.

There may still be a working version of your project in your temp files. Here's how to check:

1. Open this folder in Windows Explorer: %appdata%\Articulate\Storyline 
  2. Scan the contents of this folder for a file that starts with the name of your project. If you find one, copy it to your desktop. If you find more than one, copy the latest version to your desktop. 
  3. Change the file extension of the copy on your desktop from *.tmp to *.story. 
  4. Double-click the file to open it in Storyline. 

File corruption is unpredictable, and there's no straightforward way to determine what causes it. Common causes are environmental (disk errors, power outages, improper shutdowns), viruses, failed Windows updates, and even file size (i.e., very large files have a higher risk of corrupting). Consider using the preventative measures described in this article to protect your project files.

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Iris,

The project file is not included in the published output. The saved project file is typically a .story file if you'd like to search your computer for that file format.

You cannot convert the published output back into a project file - I've heard users equate this to trying to get the initial ingredients, such as an egg, out of a baked cake.

Iris Caldwell

Hi Leslie/ASL Support Team,

I have experienced this "again" with another project. Now I'm concern and a bit reluctant to open other working files. Is there something that I can do to prevent this from reoccurring? Could this have something to do with file size or some sort of software settings? I'm working on a major project and this re-work has affected my deliverable timeline. Need guidance or help! 

Iris

Leslie McKerchie

Hello Iris,

Were you able to take a look at the documentation I shared above regarding file corruption?

Quick overview:

• Are you working locally with your software and your project files? This is typically your C: Drive.
  • Are you avoiding the use of special characters in your file name?
  • Is your file name under 260 characters?
  • Are you saving often? 
  • Are you exiting and closing Storyline daily?
Jerry Beaucaire

TIP:  While this issue is still happening, if you need to access another .story, make a copy of the file and then open the copy only.   I do "versioning" a lot anyway, so when a published course will be revised, I keep the original published version as a v1, then copy and make a v2 for the updates.   Each major revision gets a new v? and eventually you have a whole series of reviewable versions.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.