Reset Drag-and-Drop Incorrect Choices w/ Motion Paths in Articulate Storyline 360

May 25, 2021

Hello,

I used this tutorial to try to reset drag and drop incorrect choices:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdhSjUOva4Y

I got the correct answers to "stick" to the table, and turn green, and got the incorrect answers to reset back to their original position. I was able to get this tutorial to work with a matching drag and drop, where there is a place for all the drag and drop items. 

I'm having some problems with it returning a Correct response after a Try Again response. Works fine when the user gets all the answers right on the first try, but in most instances when trying again, the Incorrect response is given even if all the answers are correct. 

It might be worth noting: It does work when the user drags some of the correct answers, but none of the incorrect items, to the table hotspot then tries again and puts all the correct items on the table hotspot. I've also noticed that when I turn off Triggers on the Try Again layer that the incorrect answers don't automatically return (of course), but if you manually return the wrong answers and place the correct answers in place, it returns a Correct response.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jerry

Pinned Reply
Luciana Piazza

Hello Everyone! ✨

I'm happy to share that we have released a new update for Storyline 360 (Build 3.76.30446.0).

In this update, we have implemented a fix for:

• Drag-and-drop interactions behaved erratically after multiple attempts.

As a first stepI recommend updating Storyline 360 to the latest version. Here's how:

Update Authoring Apps

If you have any questions, please let us know in this thread or privately in a support case.

Have a great day! 

22 Replies
Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, Jerry, and welcome to E-Learning Heroes! ✨

Thank you for sharing your .story file!

I made a few changes, and the file seems to be working now. Here's a recap of what I did:

• On your Try Again layer, I disabled the triggers that return the correct objects when drop incorrect because those will never be incorrect. 

Windows 10 (1) 2021-05-27 at 12.26.14 PM

• I changed the When revisiting property to Resume saved state.
  • On your second slide, since there are many correct answers, I changed the Drag and Drop options to Tile for the Snap dropped items dropdown. I did this because it seemed like the position of the objects was affecting the results. 

I am attaching the edited file here. Let me know if this works for you!

Jerry Lipnisky

Hi Maria,

Thanks for helping me with this. I find that Drop Target Options>Snap dropped items to drop target>Tile works best for both slides. Yes, setting it to Free seems to cause some issues.

The one weird thing that happens often when I have it set to this, as opposed to "Free" (the other option don't work because the text is obscured in the answers), is that when users drag an item over to the table hotspot while in the Try Again attempt, often two or more other items will inexplicably move with it over to the table. If the user moves the wrong items back and puts all the right items then it will return Correct feedback. Yet, that will probably confuse most users.

It's very frustrating. It's just a knowledge check, so I thinking that one attempt will be fine until I can find some other technique for moving/resetting incorrect answers.

I'm also have problems with how the text animations are working when I publish the emodule to Review. Paragraphs will animate in broken chunks, or not at all. That's for another discussion.

Thanks,

Jerry

Jerry Lipnisky

Hello, 

I've tried using a different browser and the same issues occur. Still spinning my wheels on this one. I did manage to get a less objectionable version. The only way this works so that you get a correct response on a second attempt is the set the Drop Target Options > Snap dropped items to drop target > Tile. But I still have another issue.

I have it so that after hitting the submit button on the first attempt, the wrong answers snap back to their original position, but on the second attempt when you drag any of the objects to the Hot Spot, the previous wrong answers snap back to the Hot Spot. Very strange. If you drag those wrong answers off the Hot Spot and drag the right answers, you will get a Correct response. I'm guessing that something is going on with the triggers. Not sure. Still messing around with it.

Thanks

Lauren Connelly

Hello Jerry!

I appreciate you sharing your project! It looks like the incorrect answers are staying in the Drop Incorrect state when dragging another drag item on the second attempt. Here's what I see on my end. 

Instead, you'll need a trigger to change the state of the objects that are Drop Incorrect to Normal

Please let me know if you see the same on your end too!

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Jerry,

Thank you for keeping us updated on your testing. I was able to see the issue you described above as well, and it is a bug that we have reported to our team specific to the drag items acting erratically in succeeding attempts if the drag items have motion paths.

The listed workaround is to set the drag options to snap to the center or free, which of course, causes the overlapping in your project that you were hoping to avoid with the tile setting.

I've added this conversation to our report so that we can share any updates with you here.

Jerry Lipnisky

Hi Leslie,

When setting the Drop Target Options to "Free" or "Snap to Center" the drag and drop interactions never returns a Correct response after a second attempt, even when the user drags the correct items to the table. If I could get "Free" to return a Correct response after the second attempt I would use that, but not Snap to Center. I want the user to see the responses on the Table. 

Thanks,
Jerry

Jerry Lipnisky
Leslie McKerchie

Thanks, Jerry.

I cannot replicate the behavior in a standard drag and drop. It seems to be specific to the customization of your Try Again layer to move the incorrect items back.

Hi Leslie,

It's the Triggers and the motion paths, which cause the incorrect answers to "snap back" to their original position, that cause the problem. Try adding the motion paths and triggers, as demonstrated in the YouTube link above, to your example to see the effect. 

The difference between my project and the YouTube example is that the YouTube example has specific drop areas for each drop object. Whereas mine (as does yours) has one drop area for all four correct objects. 

I feel like there might be a workaround for this problem, as suggested by the others who posted to the discussion, but I just don't have the skills with Triggers to quit figure it out.

Thanks,
Jerry

Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, Jerry. 

Let's go back to the drawing board on this! Here's a suggestion that might be a good workaround for you: instead of using the Drag and Drop freeform question, let's use Pick one

The idea is, we'll tell Storyline to pick Correct (which is the green oval to the left of the slide view) if the objects are in the correct targets and Incorrect (the red oval) if that's not the case.

Windows 10 (1) 2021-06-10 at 12.56.02 PM

Windows 10 (1) 2021-06-10 at 1.05.42 PM

We will also use five hotspots instead of one, so we can have the object snap to center, and it will work like the Tile option under Drag and Drop.

Windows 10 (1) 2021-06-10 at 1.00.42 PM

Feel free to add more hotspots if you'd like to allow the user to drop additional objects.

The Try Again layer will have the same triggers you had previously, connecting the incorrect objects to the Motion Paths. 

Finally, I created four True/False variables (representing each of the four correct objects, and they turn True when the objects are dropped on the hotspots). I did this to delay the drop correct state (turning the textbox green) until the submit button is clicked.

Windows 10 (1) 2021-06-10 at 1.11.15 PM

The explanation might make more sense when you take a look at the attached .story file.

Let me know if you have additional questions!

Jerry Lipnisky

Hi Maria,

Unfortunately this doesn't work either. Don't know why I didn't see this a couple weeks ago, but when you drag and drop all the correct answers, and some of the incorrect answers, the user still gets a Correct response. Any way we can get it to give us an Incorrect response if the user drags incorrect answers along with correct ones?

Thanks,
Jerry

Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, Jerry.

I'm glad you made a few different tests that I might have missed! 

Since we're creating a drag-and-drop interaction with delayed feedback from a Pick one freeform, I had to add a few additional triggers:

• When the user clicks submit, we have to set at least one item as Drop Incorrect if any incorrect ones are dropped in the hotspot. It doesn't matter which one since it will be incorrect as long as any item is in the Drop Incorrect state. 

Windows 10 (1) 2021-06-25 at 3.53.41 PM

• I also added triggers to change the state of the incorrect items back to Normal once the user clicks Try Again. 

Windows 10 (1) 2021-06-25 at 3.56.30 PM

I believe it's fully working now, but please test different scenarios to ensure it's all working as expected.

Screen Recording 2021-06-25 at 03.55.44 PM

Jerry Lipnisky

Hi Maria,

Almost there. In my emodule I have two Knowledge checks that use this interaction. We got the first one working, but the second one (Boxing Table Knowledge Check) still has the issue - I drag all the correct answers, and one or more incorrect answers, I still get a Correct response. I used the same technique as the first one (the Cartridge Table Knowledge Check) I believe I must have missed something. Can you take a look?

Thanks
Jerry

Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, Jerry!

I'm so happy you're getting close!

On the second slide, you only need to make two minor changes:

The trigger Change the state of Oval 2 to selected should be when the state of at least one of the items is in Drop Incorrect (instead of all of the items).

And;

Change the state of Oval 1 to selected should be when the state of all of the items is in Drop Correct (instead of at least one).

Just switch "at least one" and "all of the items" around on those triggers, and it should work as expected!

Luciana Piazza

Hello Everyone! ✨

I'm happy to share that we have released a new update for Storyline 360 (Build 3.76.30446.0).

In this update, we have implemented a fix for:

• Drag-and-drop interactions behaved erratically after multiple attempts.

As a first stepI recommend updating Storyline 360 to the latest version. Here's how:

Update Authoring Apps

If you have any questions, please let us know in this thread or privately in a support case.

Have a great day!