Resume where left off not working in Storyline 360

Mar 13, 2019

Hi, I have reviewed a number of the discussions on this topic but not finding a solution to my problem. I have a SCORM 1.2 file published to Saba Cloud LMS. If I finish the 3 topics but not the assessment and then exit, when I resume it always takes me back to part way through a particular topic (which has 6 branches and it always goes to the 4th or 5th branch). The file is 35 slides in total. They were set to 'resume saved state', I changed them all to 'automatically decide' but this has not changed the behaviour.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

12 Replies
Melanie Wainwright

Hi Phil, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately our LMS does not support 4th edition. I've now tested 3rd edition which resumes perfectly but for some reason won't mark the learning complete.  Tried using different reporting settings but to no avail. I will have to log issue with Saba support.  Thank you anyway

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Melanie. We're happy to work with you as well on the completion issue, as well. With your permission, we can look at your .story file to investigate what's happening. You can share it publicly here, or send it to us privately by uploading it here. We'll delete it when we're done troubleshooting.

We like to use SCORM Cloud for testing in a neutral LMS environment, so you can feel free to see how the completion works there as well.

Beth Lease

Hi! Has there been any update to this issue? I'm having a similar issue where participants are saying that they cannot resume to their previously left off place in the learning module and it's taking them forever because they have to re-watch content. I published to scorm 1.2 as well. So, I'm thinking I'm over the character limit? Any thoughts on what to do next? 

Katie Riggio

Greetings, Elizabeth. Sorry to hear you're facing this, and I'd love to help!

I had a look at Melanie's case, where our team uncovered that the course exceeded SCORM 1.2's suspend_data limit of 4096 characters. That caused the content to not resume on the right side.

Does your LMS support another standard like SCORM 2004 (3rd or 4th Edition)? Either of those options support a much longer suspend data. 

Also, we're happy to troubleshoot the course in a test LMS environment if you’re comfortable with sharing the .story file. You can send it privately to us by using this link or attach it publicly here!

Kelly Doane

Hi, 

I am having a similar issues while publishing in 2004 3rd Edition. The only thing I can think of that I've done differently in this course than others is restrict the TOC on the left and remove certain TOC items so that only major topics are viewable, but the learner cannot click forward in the TOC. Setting "Prompt to Resume"

User enters lesson, completes first topic and then moves onto the second as indicated on the TOC. Exits. Re-enters. No prompt to resume in Storyline 360, only in the LMS. Lesson starts all over at the beginning.  

Any thoughts?

Ren Gomez

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for reaching out! I'm not sure if you were referring to Review 360 when you mentioned prompt to resume in Storyline 360, but all Storyline 360 courses in Review 360 will start over from the beginning. 

If you're running into some unexpected issues with resuming in your LMS with the change you made, feel free to share your file with our Support Team, and they can do some further testing to figure out what should be happening!

Alicia Blitz

I have a similar issue. I have a file created in SL1 that was using custom JavaScript to pass a custom score and completion status to our LMS (SABA).

I upgraded to SL360 and when I exit and re-launch, nothing happens--blank white screen (attempted in IE, Chrome, and Edge). The player is set to prompt to resume and all the slides are set to initial state on revisit. I even deactivated the JavaScript and am using a completion trigger with the same results. I have to publish to HTML only because SABA won't run the HTML first (when publishing HTML with Flash fallback- you just get a flash plug in error). This has been a fun fire drill as well...

It is a large branching course with 105 slides. It was working fine until flash stopped working. Also, several triggers broke when it was upgraded to SL360. We have several courses formatted the same way so with the same issue. We are stuck without content until we can figure out the issue.

Here is the JavaScript if that helps:

//let's grab the variable first -- here I'm just grabbing it from an entry field
var player=GetPlayer();
var totalScore=player.GetVar("Pig");

//We're going to leverage the published output method to update status from Flash
//The delimiters need to be setup just like this to jam in the array
//first argument is status: complete
//second argument is score
//third and fourth are min / max
//fifth is passing score
//sixth is type

onBWEvent("BW_UpdateStatus","complete|~|"+totalScore+"|~|0|~|100|~|0|~|quiz");

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Gabriela and welcome to E-Learning Heroes. 😊

Thanks for reaching out and sharing that you are experiencing a similar issue. This article explains more about suspend data. If you are unable to publish to a standard that allows more characters, would you be able to break the course into smaller courses?

I look forward to hearing suggestions from your colleagues on how they worked within these limitations as well.